IB certificate or diploma

Hello,

This is my first term of IB an de i’m taking HL:maths, physics, chemistry and SL: English lit, French b , and it’s . Unfortunately my English lit doesn’t reach the requirements ,despite the fact of doing well in igcse . Should I do continue IBDP or should I do certificate and do 7 subjects instead ?

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on what you want to do in the future. If you wish to apply to University in the UK (I say, based on the flag on your profile...) then persist with the diploma because the individual certificates are worth peanuts. Look up the UCAS points for each and you will soon see that the IB is worth very little without the full diploma. If you are really struggling, consider switching to A Levels where you will be able to ditch English as a subject entirely. The other thing to remember is you're only just starting the IB in the grand scheme of things - you have plenty of time to work on your skills in English.

Is English your native language? If not consider if its possible to do your native language as your main language.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey! 

I'm a certificate student on my way to DP2, and tbh I have never felt this so stress-free.

I was also kind of forced to for reasons such as:

not reaching the English requirements in English A (I kept getting 4's) and my doctor told me for the sake of my health that stress is weighing me down (I was having chronic stress and panic attacks frequently)

The only thing I regret not knowing before changing from Diploma to Certificate is which universities would accept me or not so be prepared to send a ton of emails and a lot of research to find universities that will accept. To give you a head start at some great universities that accept certificates in Canada for example are the University of Toronto and the University of Alberta.

Other than that, I don't regret converting to certificate!

On 8/26/2019 at 10:13 PM, BookHerondale said:

Hey! 

I'm a certificate student on my way to DP2, and tbh I have never felt this so stress-free.

I was also kind of forced to for reasons such as:

not reaching the English requirements in English A (I kept getting 4's) and my doctor told me for the sake of my health that stress is weighing me down (I was having chronic stress and panic attacks frequently)

The only thing I regret not knowing before changing from Diploma to Certificate is which universities would accept me or not so be prepared to send a ton of emails and a lot of research to find universities that will accept. To give you a head start at some great universities that accept certificates in Canada for example are the University of Toronto and the University of Alberta.

Other than that, I don't regret converting to certificate!

I think you can drop Diploma to Certificate so that you can have less work and I think there are universities that accept the certificate as well.

If someone has big mental issues (like me), you can go for the certificate.

Edited by lilyserbest