Help for a student going into IB

Lyra

Hello, I'm new here! I'm planning on applying to the I.B. program at a nearby (45 minute drive away) school that has it this year, and I wanted to know a few things, and maybe grab a handful of anecdotes or some advice. A funny story, I actually applied last year but got denied because I blasted AC/DC at max volume over the gym speakers during my first (and last) school dance and got suspended for two days. This year, my behaviour has been very good and my grades in my Honors classes excellent, and I'm pretty sure I'll get in this year. I'm in the 9th grade. 

As someone who's planning to major in physics/theoretical physics, is I.B. a good choice? I heard rumours that it was for people who are business majors. I mean, it's probably a better education than at my own school, which only just last year became a high school, and anything would be better. I don't have many opportunities for things here, so I wanted to go some place where it would be better. 

The one thing I'll miss from my school is the band. While going to a just starting out high school is not fun, being in a marching band that is just starting out was one of the best experiences of my life. There's no way I could attend my old band while going to I.B. (45 minutes away in the best traffic scenario) I wouldn't miss many people from my old school, but is it worth it? Giving up all these friends and experiences for a different life? Last year I wouldn't have minded so much because I had no friends because of my reputation, and I thought going to I.B. would give me a chance to start over and build new bridges instead of trying to repair the burnt ones. This year, I've put in work to my academics as well as my social life and those bridges are reinforced, and I'm regretting it. It's going to hurt leaving all of this behind. Is I.B. worth it, so I can get into a good college and get that doctorate? (My initials are D.R., so if I get a doctorate in anything I'll be Dr. DR, and that's brilliant. I can't pass up that opportunity.)

Thank you for your time, sorry for the text wall!

IB is not the best program for people who know exactly what they are doing, and that something is not interdisciplinary. IB is more of a polymathic education. If you have your goals set on physics, then I recommend going for AP Calc BC and AP Physics C type of enrichment courses. The IB physics is not a sufficient exposure to what physics is like in uni. I cannot speak for your IB school because every place is different. I have nothing against the program but it does make Math HL and Physics HL (the IB equivalents of the aforementioned AP courses) much less enjoyable and more stressful if you also have to spend a lot of time doing second language or group 3 stuff. In high school I lived about 45 minutes away from school too and I participated in some less-committal after-school programs like repertoire music and cross country. It's really up to you if you want to leave your current school and start fresh. The new school will have other opportunities, and if you really want to, you can still stay in touch with your current friends through facetime, social media etc. 

I think I'm still going to shoot for it, I want to be exposed to a lot of different subjects, but physics is my overall goal. I'm sure I'll make it this year, the people who got accepted last year had weaker credentials. Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...