EE idea.. input greatly appreciated

cashinapig

I've been having a hard time coming up with a good research question, having been shot down multiple times by various teachers.
The current one I've been brainstorming is basically an evaluation of arches-- pointed, curved, and flat. (I got the idea from the book Pillars of the Earth). I was thinking that I could explain mathematically and analyze why Moslem-style arches are more efficient than curved ones. Going into some prelim research, however, I got a source that says the way to understand arches is conceptually, rather than mathematically, which I guess is also a good EE topic (.. keeping in mind that my current Physics teacher is barely qualified and does not understand anything IB-related).

Decent topic?
Any input would be awesome, thanks =)

I, by no means am a math expert nor do I claim to be an expert on the criteria, but from what I have heard, I do feel compelled to warn you that math and science EEs are statistically the most difficult and generally, the lowest scoring of the options. From what I understand with the math EEs is that they require some in-depth knowledge of theory as well as solid evidence. You should also note, that in order to do a group 4 EE, you need to complete an experiment.

No matter which topic you choose, you will need to find a way to phrase your interests into a research question. I am not particularly inclined in either of these subject areas, therefore I will leave someone more knowledgeable than I to address your specific needs. I understand that the general warning might not be the most helpful, but you need to take a look at the [url="http://www.aacps.org/aacps/oldmhs/PDFs/Extended%20Essay%20Class%20of%202009.pdf"]IB Extended Essay Subject Guide[/url] and get a better idea of what you will need to do to satisfy the qualifications for each category.

Edited by flsweetheart422

I myself am not doing an EE in math, but a friend is, and they have been keeping in touch with all the criteria. They are analyzing something similar, comparing some two aspects of mathematics to see which one yields the closest precision and widest application when it comes to calculating some data input when it comes to modeling objects in factories. I really dont understand it, honestly, but I did listen in on the advice they were given. for math, the topic should be applicable ot a worldwide cause, you want your paper to be able to loo kas if its application is internationally a benefit. From your perspective, it seems like a good topic to do that, however it doesn't sounds like you will be able to write 4k words.

you want your topic to be purely mathematically evaluated, but also then available for conceptual application. Almost like your spin on it. So, a new way to apply the arches and few sets of data, and what i heard is even better ,is when your mathematics is able to predict something. For example, my friend is using some type of calculus to allude ot the fact of building a more efficient and stable machinery to be used in factories for duplication, which I was told is brownie points.

I really don't know if that helped, I honestly tried ot give u what I have learned. At this point, I would suggest talking to someone else amongst your school. maybe a senrior.

and physics needs to be experimental, and should fall somewhere in the category of your assessment statements. The ylove to see you expand on those ideas. So for example, while I may be learning about photosynthesis, I am expanding the idea to testthe rate of it on three household chemicals which could perpetually impede the growth of a plant.

[quote name='flsweetheart422' post='33778' date='Jan 16 2009, 07:29 AM']You should also note, that in order to do a group 4 EE, you need to complete an experiment.[/quote]
Actually, you don't. It will, however, be hard to score well if you don't perform an experiment.