Biology SL/HL help

Mahuta ♥

Guest K. Nat

Hi!

I need help in my Biology IA design. My research question is "What is the effect of pH in mold growth?"

It is my first assignment in IB and I'm still lost.

Thank you :phone:

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi! I am going to choose my IB classes next semester and I am preparing for it now. So is it ok if I ask a question about course selection??

I want to study genetics as my major, so I am considering double science. Biology is a "for sure" HL to take, and I am struggling to choose between Chemistry and Physics. Is it better to choose Chemistry? Because I saw that a required class for genetic in the university is biochemistry. But then I saw in the second year, we still need to take physics. I personally have  better score in physics and is much passionate in it comparing to Chemistry. Plus our physics teacher is better than our Chemistry teacher.

So is it ok if I take Physics + Biology?

Hi! I am going to choose my IB classes nextarrow-10x10.png semester and I am preparing for it now. So is it ok if I ask a question about course selection??

I want to study genetics as my major, so I am considering double science. Biology is a "for sure" HL to take, and I am struggling to choose between Chemistry and Physics. Is it better to choose Chemistry? Because I saw that a required class for genetic in the universityarrow-10x10.png is biochemistry. But then I saw in the second year, we still need to take physics. I personally have  better score in physics and is much passionate in it comparing to Chemistry. Plus our physics teacher is better than our Chemistry teacher.

So is it ok if I takearrow-10x10.png Physics + Biology?

I'm afraid not. I have taken a look at some universities in the UK that offer genetics as a subject, and they tend to want Biology and Chemistry at HL. I understand that you will be taking Physics in your second year, but the information would be basic and wouldn't require as much knowledge as you would need from Chemistry.

If you're going to any other country such as the US or Canada for example, go ahead and check what IB requirements they need for genetics. Hope this was of help.

• Like 1

Hi! I am going to choose my IB classes nextarrow-10x10.png semester and I am preparing for it now. So is it ok if I ask a question about course selection??

I want to study genetics as my major, so I am considering double science. Biology is a "for sure" HL to take, and I am struggling to choose between Chemistry and Physics. Is it better to choose Chemistry? Because I saw that a required class for genetic in the universityarrow-10x10.png is biochemistry. But then I saw in the second year, we still need to take physics. I personally have  better score in physics and is much passionate in it comparing to Chemistry. Plus our physics teacher is better than our Chemistry teacher.

I'm afraid not. I have taken a look at some universities in the UK that offer genetics as a subject, and they tend to want Biology and Chemistry at HL. I understand that you will be taking Physics in your second year, but the information would be basic and wouldn't require as much knowledge as you would need from Chemistry.

If you're going to any other country such as the US or Canada for example, go ahead and check what IB requirements they need for genetics. Hope this was of help.

I am planning to go to US, but I am still seeing a lot of requirements related to Chemistry.

I am planning to go to US, but I am still seeing a lot of requirements related to Chemistry.

If you intend on studying at an American university you could get away with not taking IB chemistry since you can take an introductory/general chemistry class which starts from scratch. But you're honestly better off taking IB chemistry since biology involves quite a bit of chemistry, it will make things easier for you. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi! Thanks for the help!

I was wondering for some feedback on my IA question: To what extent is a low pH necessary for the activation of pepsin?

I have some ideas on how to carry out an test tube experiment including egg shells and acids/bases, but is this a question that is "IA worthy"? 

• 3 months later...

HI Mahuta. I really need help in my Biology IA. This is my first time doing an IA. I'm taking Bio HL. I'm doing egg osmosis. I know there are many experiments on that. I was thinking how does solute concentration affect the rate of osmosis in eggs. Is this a good IA topic? Should I think of other factors that can affect osmosis? I hope you can answer my question. 

• 8 months later...

Hey I really need help finding topic for my biology IA, since this is my first time moving in to a school that needs a lot of critical thinking I am not really used to this teaching yet. Previously I came from a school that uses a Cambridge program so I did the IGCSE and wasn't taught much about how Das and experiments work. I really, desperately need help!! I am taking Bio HL btw! :D Thanks for the help!!!

Edited by Stacey

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I don't know if any other IB Schools do this but at my school, for our first year of Biology HL we have to complete a science fair project. Does anyone know of some good projects relating to Botany or Water Quality? I have some ideas but they have all been shot down because i can't find a good IV with 6 levels.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 6:15 PM, Tomkooky said:

Can you please provide me with November 2019 bio HL exam. My teacher is gonna bring it as the mock exam for 2020, therefore I need to solve it urgently. Please if you mind or if u can share with me the top tricky questions 

Have you got your exam back? Need them for my mock too! Thanks!