How do you get a bilingual diploma?

Alix

I heard you can get a bilingual diploma in IB... I was wondering how though because everyone takes an A1 course and an A2 course so shouldn't everyone get a bilingual diploma or is a bilingual diploma for people taking two A1 courses? I know it's a stupid question but it's been annoying me!

Edited by Alix

This is the deal. You must take two A languages for a complete bilingual diploma. That means both languages can be A1 or one A1 and the other A2, SL or HL don't matter. No, a lot of people don't get bilingual diploma because they do a language at A1 level and then a language at B level, or Ab initio both which do not qualify you for a bilingual diploma.

Hope that cleared you up a bit.

You also get a bilingual diploma if you take a Language A1 that is different from the language you're taking classes/exams in. So anyone who does the IB in English and has a Language A1 other than English should get a bilingual diploma, as far as I understand it.

What I don't really see is what it would be good for... Since there will only be a couple of students in my year (four that I can think of, out of ~75) who aren't eligible for the bilingual diploma, what's the benefit of actually having one? Except that it sounds fancy, of course... ^_^

Edited by Hyperbole

What I don't really see is what it would be good for... Since there will only be a couple of students in my year (four that I can think of, out of ~75) who aren't eligible for the bilingual diploma, what's the benefit of actually having one? Except that it sounds fancy, of course... ^_^

Well, that is of course the case for non-English speaking countries, but I imagine not many British or American IB students get a bilingual diploma.

If you apply to study languages in university, it can help. Imagine getting an application from a student who has a bi-lingual diploma, versus someone with a normal diploma. Especially if you apply to study 2 languages in university, and if they are new languages. It proves that you are competent enough to learn more languages (hopefully).

Also, some countries require IB students to have a bi-lingual diploma if they want to attend university there. My German classmate is taking German A1 and English A1 so that she has the option of going to a German university. Having a certificate in English only, even though German is her first language, isn't enough. She has to have studied it at IB level.

My German classmate is taking German A1 and English A1 so that she has the option of going to a German university. Having a certificate in English only, even though German is her first language, isn't enough. She has to have studied it at IB level.

I know it's too late, but German universities do not require German A1. As long as she is fluent, she will be fine:

"e) German diploma holders, who have attended a school abroad not providing German courses, must supply proof of competence in German before being accepted for higher studies; such details are defined by the regulations in force in the relevant Federal State."

"Bilingual diplomas are awarded for:

* two languages at A1, or

* a language A1 taken together with a language A2, or

* a group 3 (geography, history, psychology, etc.) or 4 subject (sciences like biology, chemistry, physics) taken in a language other than the candidate's language A1, or

* an extended essay in a group 3 or group 4 subject written in a language other than the candidate's language A1."

Many ways to get one. Although it seems unlikely that someone would do the 3rd one, unless their school taught candidates in more than one language.

Although it seems unlikely that someone would do the 3rd one' date=' unless their school taught candidates in more than one language.[/quote']

Well, we get taught History in both English and French, half the year in English, half in French. BUT we only get the bilingual diploma if we write the exams in French ;)

Well, we get taught History in both English and French, half the year in English, half in French. BUT we only get the bilingual diploma if we write the exams in French ;)

Isn't it hard to then do the exams all in English if you've learned half the material in French? Translating back and forth doesn't get irritating?

* a group 3 (geography, history, psychology, etc.) or 4 subject (sciences like biology, chemistry, physics) taken in a language other than the candidate's language A1

Many ways to get one. Although it seems unlikely that someone would do the 3rd one, unless their school taught candidates in more than one language.

Well, I am taking Swedish A1 and taking the rest of my exams in English.. I think that's the case for quite many candidates.

Hmm... as far as I have gathered, it is impossible to take two A1 courses. So one A1 course plus an A2 course would give you a bilingual diploma.

It is not impossible to take two A1 languages. Students can do one language at self-study level, meaning that they study it outside of school and in their own time. They sit SL exams for that language like any other student. Some schools don't allow students to take A1 self-study, which may be the case in your school and why you're not aware of it.

It is not impossible to take two A1 languages. Students can do one language at self-study level, meaning that they study it outside of school and in their own time. They sit SL exams for that language like any other student. Some schools don't allow students to take A1 self-study, which may be the case in your school and why you're not aware of it.

Most people in my school take two A1's(English and Korean/Japanese/French/Spanish) because my schools doesnt offer A2 so two A1's is entirely possible, also some people seemed to be forced by some policies to take their native language in A1 if it isn't English, meaning that fluent Korean people who are also fluent in English and want to have this ability presented on their diploma are in a way forced to take 2 A1's.

Coming back to the topic, I don't exactly the advantage of a Bilingual Diploma as most universities that have come to visit don't even know it exists; they just recognise the IB in general.

I know it's too late, but German universities do not require German A1. As long as she is fluent, she will be fine:

"e) German diploma holders, who have attended a school abroad not providing German courses, must supply proof of competence in German before being accepted for higher studies; such details are defined by the regulations in force in the relevant Federal State."

However, there are a lot more requirements for students who have ONLY the IB to attend a German university, because having only the IB does not automatically mean you have the entrance qualification. The requirements can differ from university to university (I think)...