Summer between DP1 and DP2

theasanzen

Hey! I'm currently in MYP5 and it's my first year in the IB. Next summer (between DP21 and DP2) I have already planned an expedition for my ESS/Bio course (haven't decided which course I'm going to take yet but this was offered by the school). My summer break is 8 weeks and the expedition is 2 weeks. But I have also planned a volunteer trip for one month, it's something I really want to do + it will look good on my university applications and I can use it for CAS. That means, however, that I'm only home for 2 weeks during my break. I've heard that I should try to finish all my IA drafts and finish my EE, as well as study because my teachers are pretty bad. The courses I'm going to take are ESS/Bio SL, English lit and performance SL, Math SL, Global politics HL, Swedish A HL and History HL. Does anyone have any tips on what I should do, areas I should study in each course (if it's necessary), advice on my EE or IAs, how you did it/are doing it, how your summer between DP1 and DP2 was... etc. 

Big thanks in advance!

I'd recommend tying to make progress on your EE while on those two trips and then working on it a bit in your two "free weeks". I know that it certainly won't be the best summer in terms of workload, but I think that making significant progress on the EE during summer and your first week back (when things should be slow and assignments still light) is really valuable. No joke one of the most IB memories I have was sitting on a beautiful beach in Cuba and reading a book for taking notes for my EE. Your summer stuff can be research and planning (that's how it was for me), make sure you work on getting a personal interview in summer and do it early and send out tons of requests because getting someone to give you their time is hard and especially if you have a specialized subject, and then hammer out a first draft the final few weeks.

Also, rest up dude. Hang out with friends. Don't worry about IA's.

• Like 1