EE Math HL

Monia110

Hey,

I don't have a lot of time and I'm desperately searching for my EE topic. I've been thinking about applications of continued fractions or looking for the best way to define pi number by probability. I dunno what to do with the first topic to show my personal engagement and I'm not sure whether the second idea isn't too simple and should be used rather to write an IA. 

Can you comment on them and/or eventually give some ideas? :/
I feel like committing a suicide but I like this subject... Any tips to survive?

Hello, happy new year!

When is your EE due and when are your IB exams? What math topics have you covered so far?

I am not familiar with continued fractions. I find the topic interesting and but I am not sure how to best approach it. Definitely there are connections to sum of series but I do not know much beyond that. Focus on mathematical properties or usage of continued fractions and applications within various fields of math.

It's imprecise to say "define pi by probability". pi is defined as the ratio of circumference to diameter, but just happens to show up in probability because of evaluation of trigonometric or Gaussian integrals. So in this route, it's best to explore a problem in depth, rather than mentioning multiple occurrences of pi showing up in probability. pi also shows up in many infinite series. I think it's quite possible to do this topic at the appropriate EE level.

I wrote my math EE and got a good score but that was specifically targeted towards an outdated syllabus and requirements. In general the EE should be thorough (for 3000 ish words for math EE), cohesive, and shows lots of personal engagement. Make sure any calculation is well explained, but not overly explained. For example any math in syllabus should be commented on briefly, but math beyond syllabus should be heavily annotated.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2018 at 9:27 PM, kw0573 said:

When is your EE due and when are your IB exams? What math topics have you covered so far?

I have my IB exams in April/May 2020 and the deadline of choice of my EE topic is the end of the next week. I've already ended fundamentals chapter and now I'm learning functions, so it's not a lot... And partially that's why I don't know what to do. 

Thank you so much for your response! I'll check your suggestions. 

I also came across an idea of connecting group theory with solving Rubik's cube. To be honest, I need to investigate it more deeply to decide, but isn't it interesting what stands beyond the known algorithms? Maybe you're more into abstract math and can comment on it? Of course, I should make the topic more specific, I know 😅

Edited by Monia110

I do not study math in university so I just know a little bit of linear algebra and calculus that's beyond HL. But it's somewhat of a risk to do your EE on entirely math outside of curriculum because it depends on the ability of you learning new materials by yourself. It could be possible to do a group theory and non-group theory approach on Rubik's cube and see if group theory makes things a lot easier.