How to start studying French ab initio

strafa

As of right now I am still midway of MYP year 5 (which is the last year of MYP) and so for me, DP will still start next school year (summer of this year) but we did already choose our DP subjects. So as for my second language, I decided to choose French ab initio (which I have no prior knowledge on) and I kinda just wanted to start learning the language so I kinda get a head start and so it will make it a bit easier for me next year. Therefore, I just wanted to ask you guys how I should start studying French (e.g. do you recommend me to learn through language-learning platforms, through textbooks, videos, etc and if so, if you can, name specific resources). I actually had started using Duolingo recently (currently lvl 8 ) but I read from somewhere that its content is a bit irrelevant to the IB's syllabus. So what do you guys recommend me to do? Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Duolingo is a great way to get started but the most efficient way to get better faster in a new language is to practice with a native speaker orally. I currently have SL literature English as a language A and also HL French language and literature as a second A language. Because I'm native in French and I only learned English recently, I only got to see actual big improvements concerning my English speaking and writing skills when I started to orally talk with my friends who are native in English. Also, Duolingo isn't really efficient when considering the mulitple dialects and expressions used in canada, france  or other french countries. Reading books and watching movies with subtitles can also be an alternative.

I really hope it helped!

19 hours ago, Oceane said:

Duolingo is a great way to get started but the most efficient way to get better faster in a new language is to practice with a native speaker orally. I currently have SL literature English as a language A and also HL French language and literature as a second A language. Because I'm native in French and I only learned English recently, I only got to see actual big improvements concerning my English speaking and writing skills when I started to orally talk with my friends who are native in English. Also, Duolingo isn't really efficient when considering the mulitple dialects and expressions used in canada, france  or other french countries. Reading books and watching movies with subtitles can also be an alternative.

I really hope it helped!

Thanks for your detailed advice! Unfortunately, in my country (Indonesia) there are barely if not no French speakers at all. I'll definitely try reading and watching shows with subtitles and by this, do you mean English audio with French subtitles or French audio with English subtitles? Thanks

Edited by strafa

On 2/20/2019 at 7:45 AM, strafa said:

Thanks for your detailed advice! Unfortunately, in my country (Indonesia) there are barely if not no French speakers at all. I'll definitely try reading and watching shows with subtitles and by this, do you mean English audio with French subtitles or French audio with English subtitles? Thanks

French audio and English subtitles would definitely be more useful in that way. This will help a lot more. Also, there's no need to have a language partner in your country, there is plenty of apps or sites that help you find a 'language buddy'. In that way, voice calls can be possible.

5 hours ago, Oceane said:

French audio and English subtitles would definitely be more useful in that way. This will help a lot more. Also, there's no need to have a language partner in your country, there is plenty of apps or sites that help you find a 'language buddy'. In that way, voice calls can be possible.

Alright then, thanks!