Chemistry Extended Essay Topic

IB-student27

The current topic of my current chemistry extended essay is the optimisation of the voltage produced by a half-cell by changing the temperature and electrolyte of the cell and using that to mathematically model the output voltage produced by the cell as a function of those variables. However, during research I learnt about the existence of the Nernst Equation and realised I was simply investigating that. I also found a few threads online of people who did this topic as an IA instead of an extended essay which leads me to fear my Extended Essay topic is too simple. 

Could anyone give me advice on whether this would be a suitable extended essay topic. If not, are there any possible modifications I could make to my research topic. I am also open to alternate suggestions or even possible nudges in the direction of different topics I could choose to research in. I am very passionate about Chemistry and would like to do my Extended Essay in the subject.

The topic is not bad. At the end of the day, the EE is about writing and not just about the experiment. So it just means you need to give at least twice as much analysis as an IA without being wordy or redundant. 

Some questions to consider

1) There are some tabulated cell potentials for different salt solutions but same reaction. What accounts for the difference?

2) (Beyond syllabus) What is an ideal solution? What may be some downsides to using concentration in measuring Q (reaction quotient)? Does Q takes into considerations of the different salts present in solution? Another way of saying this is, if you find discrepancy between Ecell and what is predicted by Nernst Eq, is it more likely that the equation is wrong or Q is imprecise?

3) calibration How do you make sure your instruments do not have zero offset errors before you start the experiment? Or, how can you account for the zero-offset? Could the zero-offset be depended upon temperature?

It is more interesting and requires more theory but I wouldn't say it's necessarily a better topic. Obviously if you already are very familiar with cyclic voltammetry then this is definitely a better topic but I wouldn't say so if you are not familiar with the technique and have to learn it on your own.

It also requires a lot of equipment my school may not have. Thank you for all your help. Do you believe it is possible to get an A with my original topic if the essay is written well? I am just worried cause my teacher has told us of students who scored very poorly due to doing overly simple topics for their extended essays.

Edited by IB-student27