Extended Essay

NinaG

Hey guys! I'm so stuck! I want to do an English extended essay but I don't want to analyse a book like everyone else. I spoke with my EE possible advisor and she said to maybe look at doing Slam poetry. The problem is that there isn't much research on Slam Poetry. Can someone please help and tell me if they've ever written an extended essay on slam poetry or an interesting comparison or analysing research question I could do.

One of the large obstacles in a cat. 3 Group 1 EE is citations. You may need access to journals (eg via a university) to find any studies on slam poetry. Category 3 EEs are definitely the most creative, ambitious and risky choice out of all three Group 1 possibilities. Looking at the EE guide, IB seems to recommend studying a collection of texts for analysis on technique and style. So the poems could be linked by a theme or author. It could also be interesting to compare spoken word to (contemporary) printed poems and highlight key similarities and differences when conveying the same themes and mood.

• Like 1

@kw0573 thank you so much!!! my original issue was that I wanted to do modern poetry but because a lot of contemporary poets are self published it limits my options and the poets who are published I'm studying in Lang and Lit so I can't do them. Thank you so much!!

If you are concerned about sources it may be a good idea to explore other options. IB also seems to suggest literary studies (cat. 3) surrounding an event and exploring different narratives may also be ok. I am not that strong at literature so I couldn't tell you in depth some possible ways to do the EE.

• Thanks 1

Just piggybacking off of @kw0573's good advice, in my experience, some mentors are more adamant about the amount/necessity to include scholarly crit. in an EE and other's aren't so I assume that markers similarly have different viewpoints. You should probably find some criticism but it doesn't have to be much, even IB says that that is not the primary focus of the lit. essays.

But actually, I don't think it would be hard for you to incorporate criticism; use a good scholarly search engine and just look up criticism for slam poetry. It may not be on a poem or author that you would have picked on your own but you should be able to find something on some poetry that you like (or at least don't hate). You can add that to other works that might not have had much written about them.

I'm not knowledgeable about category 3 essays, but this definitely fits category 1/2 (imo it is a cat 1/2 essay; you are considering authorial choices). I don't think any IB examiner would challenge slam poetry being literature (if Bob Dylan...).

I'd even go as far to say that there's even precedent in IB that allows you to recognize it's inherent differences (i.e. comment on delivery; tone of voice; etc.). It's kind of a gray area because on one hand you aren't allowed to comment on music when analyzing lyrics, but IB loves comments on style in poetry, staging instructions in theatre, etc. so in that vein I think it's okay. But you don't have to comment on that aspect if you don't want to.