Does IB Physics SL involve a lot of Math?

djjfj

Hey Guys

Iam planning to do IB next year and honestly im pathetic at Math, I have been predicted a high C or an low B in IGCSE Math and have been predicted an A in my IGCSE Physics exam. So does the Physics SL curriculum contain a lot of Math as im definitely going to take Math at SL, and considering my previous subpar performance in Math, would it be feasible or manageable to cope up with Physics SL.

You need to have a good physics teacher otherwise physics is pretty brutal even if you are ok at math. The math honestly isn't advanced but a large portion requires some algebra (calculators less so). If your school teacher is very awesome and good then physics should be quite doable with a high C in IGCSE. For example in my SL class 90+% get 6s or 7s so and the teacher made things very straightforward. 

• Thanks 1

Hey,

I myself take higher level physics. The math is not the part you need to be worried about. Well, in higher level we work with trig, quadratics and the math can get a little tough at times, but that is higher level. Right now I have an average of 5/6 in physics and I myself think the math is not that difficult. When it comes to standard level, I know people who struggle a lot with math but are doing fine in SL physics. The reason for this is because physics is not really a math based course. The SL part of the course is very strait forward, the HL part really tests your insight. It's a lot of thinking and applying of rules with a bit of basic algebra here and there. Overall, what I am trying to get at is that as long as you know basic mathematics like algebra, you will be fine for sure in SL Physics... because you would also be fine in HL :).

Good luck with picking your courses and here is one quick tip from my brother (who has finished IB with a 40/45) and myself, organization is key. Keep all your papers nicely organized and one thing that helped him and is helping me right now is to have a binder with loose A4 paper in it and dividers to split up the binder into 6 parts, one for each of your classes. After every day when you come home, rewrite the notes you took that day neatly and organize it in there, this helps so much, mainly because you are relooking at your day to see if you understood everything but also that way when your tests and exams come you have very nicely made and well written notes to look at.

-Jarz

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 10:21 PM, Jarz said:

Hey,

I myself take higher level physics. The math is not the part you need to be worried about. Well, in higher level we work with trig, quadratics and the math can get a little tough at times, but that is higher level. Right now I have an average of 5/6 in physics and I myself think the math is not that difficult. When it comes to standard level, I know people who struggle a lot with math but are doing fine in SL physics. The reason for this is because physics is not really a math based course. The SL part of the course is very strait forward, the HL part really tests your insight. It's a lot of thinking and applying of rules with a bit of basic algebra here and there. Overall, what I am trying to get at is that as long as you know basic mathematics like algebra, you will be fine for sure in SL Physics... because you would also be fine in HL :).

Good luck with picking your courses and here is one quick tip from my brother (who has finished IB with a 40/45) and myself, organization is key. Keep all your papers nicely organized and one thing that helped him and is helping me right now is to have a binder with loose A4 paper in it and dividers to split up the binder into 6 parts, one for each of your classes. After every day when you come home, rewrite the notes you took that day neatly and organize it in there, this helps so much, mainly because you are relooking at your day to see if you understood everything but also that way when your tests and exams come you have very nicely made and well written notes to look at.

-Jarz

Thanks, really appreciate the effort.