Change 4HL to 3HL for retake

mindol3863

hi...

I took May 2018 exams with 4 HLs( maths,chemistry,physics and EngB)

and got a 4,5,6,6 in each subject.

I missed Nov 2018 exam so I am thinking of retaking( I mean I must..lol)only maths or both maths and chem in May 2019

I want to change HL maths to SL to get more points. Is it possible to change the level for retake??

Should I retake chem as well?

my grades are

maths hl 4

phy hl 6

chem hl 5

eng b hl 6

kor a sl 6

b&m sl 6

2 bonus

=35

Will there be enough time to do  the IAs and exam preparation for both maths and chem? or should I focus on maths??

Thank you!

You can change your retake levels. You can carry over the IA grade if you are retaking the same subject (and same option for math HL) at the same level. So you do not need to redo chem IA if you do not want to. Contact [email protected] with your Diploma name, personal code, your Nov 2018 session number, previous diploma courses. You should tell them that that you want to retake math and change from HL to SL. You can write a new IA if you want, because the SL grading is a lot easier. But if you did well on the IA you can write to them asking for a transfer and it should most likely be awarded.

Finally, if you intend to resubmit any IA, you must attend classes, so the teacher can comment on the authenticity of your work. Any resubmitted IA must be on a completely different topic than any of your previously submitted works to IB. As such, you must clearly indicate to your coordinator if you want to resubmit IAs and you must finalize that ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 1:12 PM, kw0573 said:

You can change your retake levels. You can carry over the IA grade if you are retaking the same subject (and same option for math HL) at the same level. So you do not need to redo chem IA if you do not want to. Contact [email protected] with your Diploma name, personal code, your Nov 2018 session number, previous diploma courses. You should tell them that that you want to retake math and change from HL to SL. You can write a new IA if you want, because the SL grading is a lot easier. But if you did well on the IA you can write to them asking for a transfer and it should most likely be awarded.

Finally, if you intend to resubmit any IA, you must attend classes, so the teacher can comment on the authenticity of your work. Any resubmitted IA must be on a completely different topic than any of your previously submitted works to IB. As such, you must clearly indicate to your coordinator if you want to resubmit IAs and you must finalize that ASAP.

Thank you!

Now I am planning to take only Maths SL with IA. However, I live in South Korea and my school is in the United Arab Emirates. Is it possible to redo my maths IA without visiting my school? (my HL IA was pretty bad) I was thinking of writing it on my own.

Also, I was a May 2018 candidate. How much would the registration and subject fee for May 2019 be? Is there any late registration fee that I need to pay for?

@mindol3863

You need to attend class to resubmit and IA. If you do not want to, or cannot, go to UAE, you would have to find a school that admits you elsewhere (eg online)

Unfortunately, you just missed the second registration deadline of Jan 15. So the registration is the most expensive until the final registration deadline in April (I don't know the current price, but a minimum of US$726 for first subject plus US$256 each additional class plus any administration fees charged by the school, price as of two years ago.)

On 1/28/2019 at 10:24 PM, kw0573 said:

@mindol3863

You need to attend class to resubmit and IA. If you do not want to, or cannot, go to UAE, you would have to find a school that admits you elsewhere (eg online)

Unfortunately, you just missed the second registration deadline of Jan 15. So the registration is the most expensive until the final registration deadline in April (I don't know the current price, but a minimum of US$726 for first subject plus US$256 each additional class plus any administration fees charged by the school, price as of two years ago.)

Hi!

I asked my school IB coordinator if I could do math SL and IA.

And he said, "You can only re-sit the HL. An SL would make no difference to your diploma score. Even if you could, a new IA would be required and there’s no way that could happen now. " Is this true? I thought retaking SL was possible.

Or can I resit SL with my previous HL IA? It was bad but my purpose is to increase my IB total score... because universities in Korea do not care about the subject choices and they only want high total IB score.

IBID (see my first message) is in charge of IA transfers. Your school is in charge of allowing what courses for you to take. In my understanding, IB does not forbid 4HL+2SL DP students from retaking an HL at SL. Ultimately your schools decides whether to allow you in re-sits.

See pp 99, and 102-107 from the 2018 Assessment Procedures (which invariably was minimally updated for 2019, but I do not have access to that).