Surviving a grade 1 in exams?

SamuelKnudsen

Well, is it possible? I get good okayish grades in every other subject, but I'm bound to get a 1 in math studies. I've worked hard in math but I'm just not a math kind of guy, and I've heard a sufficient grade average makes up for a 1 in math, but I've seen people on here claim a single 1 keeps you from getting the diploma. Can I get a final verdict?

1 minute ago, kw0573 said:

A level 1 is 15% overall average. Are you absolutely sure that there's no way you can get 15% by your May 2019 exams?

I don't understand the systematics of percentage in the context of grades. I don't know what my percentage is now, nor do I know how to find out. I have yet to pass a mock math exam, and my IA isn't shaping up to be any better. I just need to know if a 1 in math is a death sentance, regardless of any other factor (Unrelated grades, overall avg., EE)

So the grades in IB works by taking a weighted average. This is a gross simplification, but if you get 3/20 on the IA and 15% on each of the final papers, that's a 2 and a conditional pass (if other grades are good enough). 1 is a definite fail. 2 is pass if a bunch of other conditions are met. I really hope that if you study hard enough, you can score 20+% on the papers which will not be automatic fails. 

2 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

So the grades in IB works by taking a weighted average. This is a gross simplification, but if you get 3/20 on the IA and 15% on each of the final papers, that's a 2 and a conditional pass (if other grades are good enough). 1 is a definite fail. 2 is pass if a bunch of other conditions are met. I really hope that if you study hard enough, you can score 20+% on the papers which will not be automatic fails. 

Understood and noted. I'll take what you've said to heart, and I'll be sure to try my very best to get a passing grade. Thank you for clearing that up so I can get straight to digging my own grave.