Which maths should I take?

Rhia

So Im about to go through course selections for IB11/12 pretty soon and I don't know if I should take Math Studies, Math SL or Math HL. I am currently getting a low B in Pre IB Math 10 (Math isn't my strongest subject). I am wanting to go to UBC, McGill or UT in either Biochemistry or Biology. After, first year, I am planning to apply to a forensic science program at UBC/BCIT which can lead to a career in medicine (surgeon), forensic sciences, teaching or detective work (the career paths I'm interested in) or the marine biology program.Additionally I'm also interested in criminology/psychology but that has little to do with math Which math course would be the best fit for me?

• Like 1

Last I heard, UBC Sciences does not treat Math Studies as a valid math course, so you wouldn't even be considered for admission. I would assume McGill and UT to have similar, if not the same policies. Even if they don't, you're expected to take both calculus and statistics in the majors you mentioned, and doing math studies will put you behind many people, even those who didn't do IB (imho math studies is easier than the BC provincial curriculum).

However, since you're not going into a math-intensive major, I would recommend Math SL for you. Many of my friends are in UBC Bio/Biochem, and they find some math to be challenging, but also found that Math SL suffice as a precursor.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

I would like to point out IB is introducing Analysis/Approach (functions and calculus focused) and Applications/Interpretations (modelling and stats focused) courses to replace current studies, SL, HL and it will remove Further Math. I would probably suggest Analysis/Approach SL or Applications/Interpretations HL. Application/Interpretations SL is essentially Studies and is insufficient to prepare for pre-med, and at the other hand Analysis/Approach HL is entirely unnecessary. 

• Like 1