Parallels and Parallelograms

whitemermaid

Tut, tut, tut... did this exact same project last year.. :) ... hated it. What I did was to first count all the parallelograms formed, manually. Set notation is just the easy part. It looks something like this... A8= A4UA7 (where the numbers represent the number of the parallelogram) and the U stands for union. However it was the manual part that really came useful at the end, specially in the part where they ask you for a general statement.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

hi,

em..Im doing this too and im a bit stuck because like i guess i know how to count the parallelograms and all, but I dont know how to express it..like how do i write it down?..cose i dont really know what this set notation is...Can anyone help me, please? ANd also does anyone know of a program I cud download wher I cud draw these, or shud i just draw it by hand?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey, I'm doing this topic for IB, and although I have already figured out the equation and everything manually, I am having trouble expressing that through technology. I am using Excel, and I have graphed it, but I am unsure of how to get the equation from my graph. I tried all the types (polynomial, power, etc) but none of them are producing the equation that I got (which I know works) and are instead giving me equations with the letter E and stuff. Help?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing this portfolio as well smile.gif

I tried making a general statment in the form of an equation, but when I tried it and asked my teacher, all he said was that it wasn't general enough because I kept refering to the previous parallelograms for each problem. So if I was solving for P(n), P being the number of parallelograms and n being the number of transversals, my formula would only be helpful if you knew P(n-1), which would mean you would have to know P(n-2), P(n-3), P(n-4).....

So anyone have any suggestions on other ways I can approuch this, or another perspective on the matter or whatnot? I am seeing the pattern between the number of n and the number of P, but I'm having trouble in putting this without referencing to anything else.

Thanks for all assistance in advance.

edit: also, for those struggling on the meaning of set notation: its not that difficult. Google it, ask your teacher, or just look on the example in the paper.

Edited by NetAN

ok, I guess I was going about the general statement all wrong. I know I got it now. But now I am faced with a new dilema. Do you guys know what it is meant when they say "now extend your results to m horizontal parallel lines intersected by n parallel transversals"?

also, I'm just getting confused on the rest of the paper as well (like discuss its scope and/or limitations, display the results in a spreadsheet, etc.)

can someone help me with this

I hate it that no one ever responds to me when I need help the most on this website.

• Like 1

Look, mate, we're not a huge forum with helpers who get paid for it. We have our own projects, most of us are doing IB and the rest of us are usually in university. When you add to this that the task you are doing is very rare (most people do another one), you will not find many people who are familiar with the task. For example, if I were to answer your question, I would have to spend at least a few hours looking at the project in order to help you with the general statement, which usually is the most difficult question. I wish you the best of luck with your task and hope that someone who has already done the same task as you will see your post.

• Like 2

Look, mate, we're not a huge forum with helpers who get paid for it. We have our own projects, most of us are doing IB and the rest of us are usually in university. When you add to this that the task you are doing is very rare (most people do another one), you will not find many people who are familiar with the task. For example, if I were to answer your question, I would have to spend at least a few hours looking at the project in order to help you with the general statement, which usually is the most difficult question. I wish you the best of luck with your task and hope that someone who has already done the same task as you will see your post.

I know, but I figured that this was an IB forum, so I thought that there would be somebody that would have dealt with this and would like to offer some assistance. Isn't there also a VIP system and a rep system to encourage this? I would never expect someone to go through the whole project and help me with it, but I thought that since the IB is such a big international program, there was bound to be someone on this site that has already done a portfolio like this and would like to help.

also, the lack of help on other things I have asked goes along with my previous statement

also also, I disagree heavily with those anonymous persons that said my previous comments were useless.

Edited by NetAN

I'm sorry if you feel like the site isn't of much help. Although the VIP system does encourage helping, usually it is for simple math questions (like homework), not full projects. We don't even have the questions that are set for this portfolio (the file might be on the site, though), so it is very difficult to help on this particular portfolio. You're right in saying that you had no way of knowing that this is a rare task -- although IB is huge, the site still captures only a small fraction of students.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...