English Lang & Lit HL or History HL?

strafa

Which subject do you think is easier, English Language & Literature HL or History HL?

My other subjects:
HL: Math - Economics - English Lang & Lit / History

SL: French ab initio - Biology - English Lang & Lit / History

I had recently read from a lot of discussions that History HL is considered to be one of the HARDEST subjects of the IB, and with my subject combination already including Math HL (possibly the hardest subject), I am worried about the heavy workload I am going to face next year. The reason why I'm deciding wether I should choose either History or English at HL, it's due to the requirement that I need at least one essay subject HL for my future degree. So between English Lang & Lit and History HL, which one do you think is the easier one? Thanks in advance! 

I understand that you want to make the workload easier for you, but you also need to consider what you are interested in. The IB is about choosing challenging courses that you enjoy, not courses that you know you can get a 7 on and make it easy for yourself. I wouldn't say History is hard, I would say it is a tedious subject and exam. I am currently taking HL History and I love the course. I personally find it easy. English is also pretty easy, it's just a lot of reading of old English and discussion of the topics. There's a whole oral exam surrounding the one of the books and poems you read. You will read all the books and poems in advanced but you will not know which one you are doing until you get to the exam room. 

Good luck in your selection and let me know if you have any other questions

-bgabay

On 1/23/2019 at 9:11 PM, bgabay said:

I understand that you want to make the workload easier for you, but you also need to consider what you are interested in. The IB is about choosing challenging courses that you enjoy, not courses that you know you can get a 7 on and make it easy for yourself. I wouldn't say History is hard, I would say it is a tedious subject and exam. I am currently taking HL History and I love the course. I personally find it easy. English is also pretty easy, it's just a lot of reading of old English and discussion of the topics. There's a whole oral exam surrounding the one of the books and poems you read. You will read all the books and poems in advanced but you will not know which one you are doing until you get to the exam room. 

Good luck in your selection and let me know if you have any other questions

-bgabay

True, with that being said I think I'll stay with History since I find it a lot more interesting than literature. Since you take History HL, there is one thing I wanted to ask. Prior to my subject selection, I read the syllabus of each subject I had in mind so when I was reading the History syllabus, it was divided into 3 different parts (Prescribed Subjects, World history topics, and an HL option). In each part, there are a number of topics but it says that we only learn a number of them. For example we choose only one of the Prescribed Subjects, two of the World history topics, and one of the HL options. So I was just wondering how are these different topics chosen. Thanks in advance!  

Edited by strafa

On 1/25/2019 at 9:49 AM, bgabay said:

The teacher just teaches what they want to teach, and they'll tell you which topics to pick on the exam.

Oh alright then, and one more question. How much do you think you have to study per week in order to achieve a grade of at least 6 in History HL? Thank you so much