How does the school decide our predicted grades?

Grace1528

Hello, 

I am currently at a school running the IB diploma for the first time ever and my grade has become the Guinea pigs. This is fine but students are convinced that the school is not running it properly. At the moment, my predicted grades are a concern. In french class, my teacher has not converted any of our grades from IB to the regular diploma scores. In addition, she is not weighting the ib-styled exams as much as content for the province’s curriculum. Meanwhile in math class, my ib-styled exam was higher, so was my IA and so is the mean of all my tests and assignments this year. I have risen my math mark up 20% since the beginning even though before this year they did nothing ib (did not mark ib, no ib tests, no ib times for tests etc). How are they getting their marks?! What can I do?!

That is incredibly rough, first time IB teacher are notorious for making a circus out of predicted grades (actual personal experience here), I feel like some formal training is required to be an IB teacher.

Anyways, your predicted grades should be based solely on IB curriculum and content, as well as your IAs and other assessments dictated by the IB. If you're in a province like BC, where provincial education is a joke and a half, it may be beneficial if your teacher is weighing this more heavily, although it is certainly not proper.

There are pretty clear marking rubrics by IB. Read them over, and if you feel like you deserve a better grade, go talk to your teachers/IB coordinator, but make sure you have ample knowledge and evidence. If things are egregious, I think the best thing may be to contact the IBO and request some formal moderation, as predicted grades are very important.