Extended Essay Topic Help

yvrdbird

Hey guys, just wanted to know if my topic and research question for my Studies in Language & Literature EE is feasible:

How does innocence play a role in the development of Bildungsroman novel characters such as Paul in “All Quiet on the Western Front” and Holden Caulfield in “The Catcher in the Rye”?

So, what do you guys think? Is it too specific? Are the two books I'm comparing too much of an opposition? Also, what would I put in as my sources? Can I just simply say that the two books are my sources?

If anyone has done an EE on either book or have compared both, can you kindly provide me with feedback? 

Any type of feedback is very much appreciated!

Thank you all very much!

10 hours ago, bgabay said:

I did something very similar. What I would recommend is that you instead talk about character development as a whole instead of just innocence. If you limit to innocence, you may find it difficult to write 4000 words. 

So, I actually did change my topic and RQ such that it fits Category 2. The topic now focuses on how culture affects the development of characters in Bildungsroman novels since I chose The Catcher in the Rye (which is written in English) and All Quiet on the Western World (which was translated from German). Would you say it would still be hard to write 4000 words?

8 hours ago, yvrdbird said:

So, I actually did change my topic and RQ such that it fits Category 2. The topic now focuses on how culture affects the development of characters in Bildungsroman novels since I chose The Catcher in the Rye (which is written in English) and All Quiet on the Western World (which was translated from German). Would you say it would still be hard to write 4000 words?

Yes it would still be hard to write 4000 words on it. But there is only a restriction on the maximum word count but not the minimum word limit. You can write how much ever words you within 4000. The content only matters not the word count.