I see a lot of people talking about "studying 1-2 hours on subject," but there's little mention of homework...

Carwaii

So, when y'all talk about studying for a few hours 1-3 subjects a day, is that on top of homework, or are you just not assigned concrete homework, because that's the impression I get. I might seem like an absolute idiot thinking that teachers don't assign homework, but this has been a pressing question that keeps me from applying tips I read on the internet concerning IB, since I say to myself "I would study if I could actually finish the homework due the next day."

0.5-2 hours a day per subject include homework, at probably 4 or more subjects a day

I am not sure what your study habits are, but if you study very effectively, this is reasonable in Year 1. Take for example math, English A, and a generic group 3/4 class as examples.

Math Homework is almost entirety of studying. If you are in the right class, it should take about 2-2.5 hours to do homework on a daily basis.

English A Usually I didn't get a lot of homework assigned, just reading. In additional to reading (which if you have the time, a book can be finished in 4-7 days), you may want to do research for a project, or write a practice short practice commentary once a while and that might take 2 hours each time (say once every month).

Group 3/4. Some of these subjects, like economics and chemistry, build upon previous topics. So it may be helpful to do skim textbook readings before a class, and do homework as soon as possible. There are a lot more conceptual understanding needed than math or English A so reading helps to develop a whole picture. Usually 1 hour for homework and 20 minutes for reading (textbook and notes) to preview or identify confusing parts. 

And a lot of subjects, like languages and arts, can put off extra work to the weekend. So something like 3-4 hours effective studying on weekdays and 5-6 hours on weekends is reasonable.

On 1/28/2019 at 5:42 PM, kw0573 said:

0.5-2 hours a day per subject include homework, at probably 4 or more subjects a day

I am not sure what your study habits are, but if you study very effectively, this is reasonable in Year 1. Take for example math, English A, and a generic group 3/4 class as examples.

Math Homework is almost entirety of studying. If you are in the right class, it should take about 2-2.5 hours to do homework on a daily basis.

English A Usually I didn't get a lot of homework assigned, just reading. In additional to reading (which if you have the time, a book can be finished in 4-7 days), you may want to do research for a project, or write a practice short practice commentary once a while and that might take 2 hours each time (say once every month).

Group 3/4. Some of these subjects, like economics and chemistry, build upon previous topics. So it may be helpful to do skim textbook readings before a class, and do homework as soon as possible. There are a lot more conceptual understanding needed than math or English A so reading helps to develop a whole picture. Usually 1 hour for homework and 20 minutes for reading (textbook and notes) to preview or identify confusing parts. 

And a lot of subjects, like languages and arts, can put off extra work to the weekend. So something like 3-4 hours effective studying on weekdays and 5-6 hours on weekends is reasonable.

Just curious, are you saying that he would get 2-2.5 hours of homework each day? If so, that's a lot and I never get that. I spend maybe total 1.5-2 hours of homework on all my subjects, this includes rewriting my notes that I took that day in class.

8 minutes ago, Jarz said:

Just curious, are you saying that he would get 2-2.5 hours of homework each day? If so, that's a lot and I never get that. I spend maybe total 1.5-2 hours of homework on all my subjects, this includes rewriting my notes that I took that day in class.

Im saying math 2-2.5 hours and 0.5-1 hour for other courses. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2019 at 8:10 AM, Jarz said:

The total time spent on homework and assignments in general (not counting studying) reaches this easily in my IB group (the 27 kids in the school in the Diploma Program) daily, and it doesn't help that most of them have practice for a sport after school. Add time spent studying and you see why there are only a handful of kids (if even) who aren't sleep deprived. And this is assuming they're always on track and never procrastinate, which I can tell is seldom the case based on what I overhear. Oh, and most aren't even on top of doing their CAS, so there's that. Bottom line: only a handful of people don't wish that they didn't sign up for IB, although maybe college acceptance letters will change that in a year.