SOS - EE Choice of Topic

I was already 3.5k words into my EE when I stumbled upon this clause in the 2019 EE guide.

The EE may relate to work students have already completed during the course, but they must also demonstrate relevant wider reading and individual study. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that the topic of their EE does not overlap with any other work they are preparing for assessment in language A—for example, the written assignment in the literature course, or the written task in the language and literature course. Students risk their diploma if academic misconduct is detected.

I intend to submit an FOA titled 'Class lesson on Rules of the Game' in which I address the 3 key essay questions below.

1. How does a key relationship in the text help you to understand an inner conflict?

2. How does an important conflict reveal the struggle of cultural identity?

3. Describe a character change in response to finding their identity amongst cultural influences.

My EE uses the same book, 'Rules of the Game' but in a slightly different context. My research question is: 'How and why have Banana Yoshimoto in Kitchen and Amy Tan in Rules of the Game used inanimate objects as symbols for finding self-identity amongst cultural tensions/changing cultural roles?'

Would my FOA and EE 'topics' be considered overlapping and therefore, academic misconduct. If so, is it possible to change the wording of my EE question slightly to make the 'topic' overlap less or would I have to rewrite my EE?

The decision is subjective, but I feel that there is significant overlap that an examiner may be concerned. The FOA should be easier to modify and counts less towards your overall IB Diploma grade. It is definitely safe if your EE and FOA are on completely different topics. 

A sketchy way is if you ask your teacher to exclude your name from moderation of FOA, but the consequences may be severe if IB found out.