Silly/funny/weird/strange words in your native language

Vvi

The riddle goes:

Kokko, kokoo kokko. Koko kokkoko? Koko kokko.

Which means "Kokko (name), build a bonfire. A whole bonfire? The whole bonfire."

Lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas= Jet airplane turbine motor apprentice mechanic non-commisioned officer cadet"

"Jet airplane turbine motor apprentice mechanic under-officer student" is almost equivalent to "Jet airplane turbine motor apprentice mechanic non-commisioned officer cadet".

But since guys insist on having army ranks and miniature details correct, we'll let it go :angry:

Kokko, kokoo kokko. Koko kokkoko? Koko kokko.

Which means "Kokko (name), build a bonfire. A whole bonfire? The whole bonfire."

:angry: This really made my day. ^^

It reminds me of the imaginary friend Coco in Cartoon Network's Foster's home for imaginary friends.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_Foster%27s_Home_for_Imaginary_Friends)

The words I wrote after the Arabic names were what they mean in Finnish. So Maha in Finnish is stomach, and Hana is tap, etc.

All the Arabic I know is made up of curse words because that's all I ever hear people use. Plus when I tried to get people to teach me real sentences, they taught me curse words thinking it would be funny to see people's faces when I said "Good morning" to them. So I don't speak that much Arabic, but I understand it when people speak it.

Where are you from originally? I don't know if I would actually understand any of the Arabic you speak if you're from Saudi Arabia or wherever :P No offense.

Oh sorry about that :P:S *embarrassed*

Even Saudi's sometimes have a hard time understaning each other (Southern and Najd (middle) so different!)..... :( but generally Jordanian, Lebanese, Syrian, Egyptian are more familiar cuz most Arabic movies are in those dialects. But you would understand Saudi and Gulf dialects. I mean they are the same language.

Fuc*= Jaw in Arabic

Kiss= The opposite of Euro :angry:

Oh sorry about that :P:S *embarrassed*

Even Saudi's sometimes have a hard time understaning each other (Southern and Najd (middle) so different!)..... :( but generally Jordanian, Lebanese, Syrian, Egyptian are more familiar cuz most Arabic movies are in those dialects. But you would understand Saudi and Gulf dialects. I mean they are the same language.

Fuc*= Jaw in Arabic

Kiss= The opposite of Euro :angry:

Haha for that kiss thing, I also remembered it because of Finnish.

In Finnish "kuusi" is the number 6 or a pine tree, and "kuus" is the slang we use to count up to 6 with.

And "taal" means "here" in Finnish, whereas in Arabic it's "come". So when my mom is calling for me in the shop or on the street, and i yell "taal!", all the Arab guys turn round really puzzled and stare because I look Israeli and they wonder why I'm speaking Arabic.

Wow. They are so many words here and rarely heard . I wish I understand them all. It does sound funny for the non-native speaker of the language.

Well, in Malay, the language is rather simple. You just have to pronounce the word the way it is spelled.

For example:

Saya = I

Awak = You

Kita = We

Mereka = They

Saya suka IB = I :angry: IB

Kita = We

just got reminded :D

Kit - means whale in serbian.

kita - means huge penis. slang term :D

Also serbian/bosnian has a rare tendancy to conjugate names. So for example, looking above at the shout box, I see Mike :)

dogi Mike

jel ides kod Mika

Mikov telefon

idem kod Mikovog tate

jel bi ti bila sa Mikom

All different expressions ranging from ownership, subject - verb- agreement, commands + grammatical points.

This is why the language is so difficult to learn by foreigners, and professors never obtain the pinnacle fluency of the tongue.

All different expressions ranging from ownership, subject - verb- agreement, commands + grammatical points.

This is why the language is so difficult to learn by foreigners, and professors never obtain the pinnacle fluency of the tongue.

Penis. :D

Ownership... :D

Ah, I remember coming across the French word for rubber for the first time. Had a ton of issues pronouncing it: caoutchouc.

Hmm, well, I swear even though Newfoundlanders speak english... it's like a whole different type of language:

Whaddayat? = What's up

Yes b'y! = What? Really? Wow!

By da jesus = oh my god

How's she cutting? = How are you?

There are SOOO many more... I just can't think of anymore at the moment.

Oh, and I will leave you all with my fave french word:

Pamplemousse = Grapefruit

:D

Wow....and you say I stereotype...speak for yourself.

kiki riki - peanuts in Serbian

pasarlas putas - to go through hell in Spanish

peder - "fag" :D (serbian) , similar to perder (to loose) in spanish. My friends from Peru always find it funny. lol.

Kuca (house - serbian) - pronounced, like coochie.

konj: horse in serbian, pronounced like cono in spanish.

chinese expression, written in english reading form: wo-men en-tsi tsu chu fun "we go to lunch". uncanny expression.

molestar: to bother in spanish, to sexually violate in english (molest, molestor)

Hey, do you know that "pasarlas putas" is really a very bad word?? You should not go around the street saying things like that.

The first time I heard the Egyptian word for "think" - "fakker", it really sounded like "****er".

Have heard the Norwegians call the USB memory stick for minnepinne, which sounds hilariously funny... (still it means memory stick, but I think the rhyme does it)

And then there is the German word for chicken "Küken", which is slang for "the penis" in Swedish (with some dialect though, since the ü is pronounced like our y).

Try Aussie English :)

Two years in Australia and I can't get used to the expression 'Far out!' which apparently means a variety of things ranging from 'Wow' to 'Crap!' (the way my uni friends use it anyway).

BUt I love Aussie English! G'Day mate (might)! joke never gets old. :rofl:

They just tend to be lazier, slurring words and such. or just shortening them. (afternoon -> arvo) and I never found "Far out" such a strange expression. I just take it as something to express surprise. Though it's true I never contemplate what it actually MEANS.

Only in Canto. It's wo men yi qi chu chi fan in Mando.

I think anyway, eugh pinyin is so rusty, haven't touched it in 9 years.

You are both talking in Mando. Just, you are using pin yin, and the other person is using a combination of english and pin yin.

I can't type out the Canto expression xDD It would sound off.

Hey, do you know that "pasarlas putas" is really a very bad word?? You should not go around the street saying things like that.

Hehe. I learned how to speak the language, not write it <3 So lazy, Chinese school is strenuous on Saturday mornings. gave up, looong time ago.

and I meant to say Possessive words. Not ownership :innocent:

Wow....and you say I stereotype...speak for yourself.

I had no idea o_o! My teacher marked me up for my exam, for using an idiom. JaJa XD

Interesting, lol.

My arabic is far different from the normale arabic(egyptian, lebanese..etc).

It almost the same as Algerians and Moroccan.

English: Normal Arabic: Our arabic

Spoon: mil3aka: ghunjaya(south of tunisia)

FlipFlops: Na'al: Shlaka

Wet: Mballal: Mchamkha

Trainers:........: Spidro

Fork: ........: Fourchita (from 'fourchette')

Fireworks:al3ab nariyya: Fourshik.

Edited by *~*MaHuTa*~*

Ok, now I know why all my friends here say they have no idea what North African Arabs are saying. The words are so different.

Is the Arabic that's spoken there a mix of French and tribal languages? Do you at least count the same way as others? And isn't classical (fus7a) Arabic hard for people to learn then, since it's so different from what they speak at home?

Exactly, the thing about our arabic is, if you know arabic and french very well, you would able to go like "french..arabic..arabic..french..french" as the person talks(french and arabic words that is), lol.

I use alot of these at home as tunisian arabic:

fourchette

Apparament

Malheureusement

En tou cas

Saloppette

Pantalong

Souvetement

Survetement

papier

stylos

chateau

gason

bonne (house made)

all these..we always use, like everyday every minute. Same with algerians and morrocans.

In the south, it is mixed with tribal language..mostly the berber language. I'm from the north and the south, so have a good idea on both.

Other arabs hardly understand us, in fact they dont get a word we say. Its funny, its like we're speaking another language.

Fus7a is not difficult, as the way they speaked is directly derived from it, plus the quran is in fus7a, sso kids learn to understand it from early age.

Edited by *~*MaHuTa*~*