Extended Essay in English B

KlaraLS

Hey, 

So, I’m considering to do my extended essay in English B. 

However, no matter how much I search on the internet, I cannot find the answer to my question. 

My question: Can I choose to do a literary analysis of a non English writer’s book? Or does the author have to come from an English speaking country? 

Please help me:). 

6 hours ago, KlaraLS said:

Hey, 

So, I’m considering to do my extended essay in English B. 

However, no matter how much I search on the internet, I cannot find the answer to my question. 

My question: Can I choose to do a literary analysis of a non English writer’s book? Or does the author have to come from an English speaking country? 

Please help me:). 

Yes , you can do a non English writer's book but you need translate every single line or phrase which you are trying to analyse in the book. Its not needed that the author should come from a English speaking country.

@IBZOMBIE9840Yeah that's quite interesting! Literary analysis in language B falls under Language Acquisition category 3 (literature) EE, which discusses texts exclusively from the target language. However, it is possible to discuss language or culture while using texts not produced in that language or culture, but those are different categories of language acquisition EEs. So it might have been the case that this particular EE was focused on some English-speaking aspects of India or whatever the book is about, which would be fine as it is instead a study on culture not literature.