strafa

• 2 weeks later...

hey!

I feel like we're in the same shoes because we're both from Indo and planning to major in economics :)

I'm taking HL Math HL Economics and HL History- whew, workload, i know, just to open up my options in case I want to get into something social science related.

Anyhow, being in Jakarta, there's very little room for extra-curricular outside of school. Do you have any suggestions for doing any activities/internships/camps relevant to economics in and around Jakarta? I'm struggling to find meaningful activities as of now, and I want to be a part of something both for my CV and for the experience. 

3 hours ago, jowjow said:

hey!

I feel like we're in the same shoes because we're both from Indo and planning to major in economics :)

I'm taking HL Math HL Economics and HL History- whew, workload, i know, just to open up my options in case I want to get into something social science related.

Anyhow, being in Jakarta, there's very little room for extra-curricular outside of school. Do you have any suggestions for doing any activities/internships/camps relevant to economics in and around Jakarta? I'm struggling to find meaningful activities as of now, and I want to be a part of something both for my CV and for the experience. 

Haha, to be honest, like you, I too am struggling to find any activity relevant to economics here (I'm also from Jakarta haha). What I am doing right now however, is reading books relevant to economics to show my interest in the subject (if you're wondering what I'm currently reading, its The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford). Also, do you know which of the two maths I should select for economics, Analysis & Approaches or Applications & Interpretations? May I also ask you're planning to go for Uni? I'm planning to go to the UK

Edited by strafa

22 hours ago, strafa said:

Haha, to be honest, like you, I too am struggling to find any activity relevant to economics here (I'm also from Jakarta haha). What I am doing right now however, is reading books relevant to economics to show my interest in the subject (if you're wondering what I'm currently reading, its The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford). Also, do you know which of the two maths I should select for economics, Analysis & Approaches or Applications & Interpretations? May I also ask you're planning to go for Uni? I'm planning to go to the UK

Hi again! Thanks for the book recc, will check that out. Also, I think I'm gonna start listening to podcasts. I've listened to some that are science-y and found that they're actually a lot more fun than they sound. I read somewhere here that Planet Money and Freakonomics are a must-listen for economics. For uni, I'm hoping to get into one of the UC's or a competitive school in the Oceana. Still, I'm keeping my options open. Have you decided on history or psych?

22 hours ago, strafa said:

About the maths, I'm taking Applications HL and that's just from the recommendation of my school counselor. Since it's never been done before, we don't really know yet. Assuming that econs is a lot about statistics, that of which is focused on the Applications course, I'm guessing it would be more relevant. However, because you're planning to go to the UK and I've seen through their websites that they seem to demand a high mathematical ability, I think you should go for Analysis because it's "harder". You should probably ask your IB coordinator or maths teacher about this. 

1 hour ago, jowjow said:

About the maths, I'm taking Applications HL and that's just from the recommendation of my school counselor. Since it's never been done before, we don't really know yet. Assuming that econs is a lot about statistics, that of which is focused on the Applications course, I'm guessing it would be more relevant. However, because you're planning to go to the UK and I've seen through their websites that they seem to demand a high mathematical ability, I think you should go for Analysis because it's "harder". You should probably ask your IB coordinator or maths teacher about this. 

Ohh I forgot to mention, I also listen to podcasts every morning during my commute to school. You should definitely listen to Planet Money, I really recommend it. Other than that, I also really listen The Indicator which I REALLY recommend. Their podcasts are pretty fun and concise in explaining the economy and how it works. Freakonomics is also good but I don't really listen to them as their podcasts are quite lengthy (I think it's about an hour) but I think you should definitely listen to it if you have the time. And about the maths, I actually just did ask my counsellor today about it and he suggested me to do ANALYSIS. Before this, I really thought Applications was the most suitable one for economics but just as you said, UK unis demand high mathematical ability. So now, I'm currently registered under Math Analysis. Oh well, now I'm twice as scared for DP. As for psych or history, I decided to choose psychology cause it's easier according to my counsellor and the IB statistics (only 2% achieves a 7 for History HL!). I just really wanted to do the easier one as none of them were really a requirement for economics, though I must say History definitely keeps your options more open if you're not only looking at economics. According to my desired universities, I need 38 total points and at least a 6 on Math HL. I didn't choose History cause I just didn't want to risk myself of not reaching the 38 points and also giving me less time to focus on Math which is the subject they're really looking for. However, my uni counsellor did say that there will be a period given a few weeks after the start of grade 11 in my school to give us a final chance to change our subjects if we don't enjoy them. So for now, I'm going for psychology and see how things go, but if I don't find it that interesting, I'm most probably going to change it to history later on.

Edited by strafa

36 minutes ago, strafa said:

Ohh I forgot to mention, I also listen to podcasts every morning during my commute to school. You should definitely listen to Planet Money, I really recommend it. Other than that, I also really listen The Indicator which I REALLY recommend. Their podcasts are pretty fun and concise in explaining the economy and how it works. Freakonomics is also good but I don't really listen to them as their podcasts are quite lengthy (I think it's about an hour) but I think you should definitely listen to it if you have the time. And about the maths, I actually just did ask my counsellor today about it and he suggested me to do ANALYSIS. Before this, I really thought Applications was the most suitable one for economics but just as you said, UK unis demand high mathematical ability. So now, I'm currently registered under Math Analysis. Oh well, now I'm twice as scared for DP. As for psych or history, I decided to choose psychology cause it's easier according to my counsellor and the IB statistics (only 2% achieves a 7 for History HL!). I just really wanted to do the easier one as none of them were really a requirement for economics, though I must say History definitely keeps your options more open if you're not only looking at economics. According to my desired universities, I need 38 total points and at least a 6 on Math HL. I didn't choose History cause I just didn't want to risk myself of not reaching the 38 points and also giving me less time to focus on Math which is the subject they're really looking for. However, my uni counsellor did say that there will be a period given a few weeks after the start of grade 11 in my school to give us a final chance to change our subjects if we don't enjoy them. So for now, I'm going for psychology and see how things go, but if I don't find it that interesting, I'm most probably going to change it to history later on.

If I could take math analysis, I would for sure, but you know, history!!  Anywayy thanks for the insight about the podcasts! I'll try to listen to some during my morning commute if I don't feel too sleepy to focus (igcse really taking a toll).

1 hour ago, jowjow said:

If I could take math analysis, I would for sure, but you know, history!!  Anywayy thanks for the insight about the podcasts! I'll try to listen to some during my morning commute if I don't feel too sleepy to focus (igcse really taking a toll).

Yeah no prob, gl for DP. 

• 8 months later...