Is This Selection Actually "Crazy"?

pathetic09

Hello y'all, 

We've recently been doing course selections at school, and I've done research and know which subjects are "hard" and "easy". The thing is, one of the teachers asked me what my choices are, and when I informed her of them, she said that I was 100% going to burn out, even when I emphasized that I had an interest in all of these classes and was already in the high 90s. In addition, my classmates have called this selection "crazy". 

HL: Math, Chem, Bio, Psych
SL: French B, Eng Lit

I do sports every morning and some afternoons, but I wrote a schedule out (and included free time) and think that this is bearable as long as I follow it. Any thoughts? 

Hi, @pathetic09

It is great that you already have definite thoughts about your subject choice a half-year before the actual DP programme! I don't think one may call it "crazy". "Tough" indeed but there is nothing crazy, especially if you are passionate about these subjects. The main question is: have you made up your mind about your future job or area of interest? Even though you love courses you've picked and are successful in them, it doesn't mean you will need them all. Choosing subjects judging on their difficulty is not right.

Your choice looks like a selection for studying medicine. Usually, besides Bio and Chem (sometimes, Maths) HL, universities require a very high IB score: 41-42+. 

So, I am trying to say that the next questions you need to ask yourself: what am I going to do in the future? Do I need all the subjects? If not, one less HL may save you points. 😉

That said, I hope I helped you. Good luck!

Edited by ssseva
Typos
  • Like 1

If there is no need to take 4 HLs, you probably do not need Psychology at HL. Math does restructure into two new courses if you enter IB this fall or later. Are you aware of the differences?

It is neither prudent nor realistic that a plan only works if everything works correctly. I think changing to 3HL/3SL will help make overall success more attainable and likely.

Finally not all costs associated with attending a school is described by the tuition fee. There are significant scholarships available in some universities, both before and after admittance. Once your grades are very very good, you may be more accessible to these.

• Thanks 1