HL Economics or History ?

MaxMallhi

I'm joining IB in April and I've take the following subjects-

HL-English, Economics and History

SL-ESS, Maths Applications and Interpretations, French ab inito.

My school is telling me that I can't take both economics and history as subjects as they clash in the school's time table. Hence, I have been told to opt out of either one and take psychology HL instead. I want to study International Relations in the US and then go to law school so what do you suggest I do; should I leave econ or history ? I've heard econ is easy to score in and hist requires a lot of hard work and commitment however I am ready to take up that challenge and I love history. But what is more important for International Relations? Econ or Hist? I'm so heartbroken because I have zero interest in psychology and I will have to study it. And my actual HL combinations were killers for uni. I don't know what to do now. 

If you had to choose you should definitely take History HL, as many law unis require history at HL. Econ is very good for law as well, but if you don't take econ, I suggest you take a harder science instead, such as Chemistry. Uni's will find it more valuable. I also want to study law and my classes are;

HL: History, Econ, English

SL: Chem, Math, German 

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply. I have a few more questions. I’ve seen many websites telling me that for law, I need history HL but in the US I can’t take law as an undergraduate major so I don’t think taking economics will affect that will it? I guess taking history hl is essential for people applying to the UK cause law is offered as an undergraduate major there? And I don’t think law schools for graduation will see my IB marks right? Also I’ve never studied economics in high school so I I don’t take it in IB I guess I really will struggle in college?

• Like 1

Hey Max. First, I have no idea about US uni's so you'd have to research that, but I know about UK uni's as thats where I plan to study and History HL is a necessity. And yes, I would be doing an undergraduate degree in Law. UK schools look at ur IB marks, however they will very rarely look at your school marks. There is a difference, you could get a test in lets say, ESS, that is graded and put in your report, however this does not affect your IB grade, which is composed of IA's, Exams, and other stuff. I have also never studied Econ in high school before doing IB, and I am doing very well right now, just because you never did econ prior uni doesn't mean you can't do it. Might be helpful, but very manageble. However if you want to have a career in econ, u should take econ, but be cautions that choosing between history and econ may restrict you down certain roads. Before you make a decision, research uni entry requirements, make a pos/con list and list all of the good and negative aspects of both subjects. The subject that has the most value in future life choices should be useful in helping you decide which subject to choose. Hope this helps ;)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend HL history. Again this is my personal preference, do not take me for granted. In HL history you will be able to learn about global conflicts, multiple leader rise to power and ethical problem solvers. This subject is awesome because it help your knowledge of the world glue together just like a puzzle. For example I had no idea what was Adolf Hitler doing by killing 6 million jews in concentration camps, but I have learnt that Hitler wanted to create a sense of "Enemy of the People" atmosphere where German People can blame somebody for unethical surrender of the Germans in 1918 11 Nov WWI. Also giving a sense that Hitler is trying to help Germany "to be great again". Although beware as History is not going to be multiple choice questions, it will be analyzing sources, writing extended answers with a certain structure which is tedious to obey, and following is an essay with 4 body paragraphs. In one test you will have to do 5 questions and sources and an essay answering a much broader question. Please see a example of a practice test that I have wrote. 

If this helps i am glad 

GooseTea

Practice test.docx

Indeed the discrimination occurred before the formal start of Aparthied.docx

History essay.docx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi GooseTea 

Thank you sooo much for your response. It was extremely informative especially those samples!! I even got a call from my school saying that they're considering giving me history and economics both by changing the time table because they see the compassion in me. But again, your reply was extremely helpful. Thanks a ton!