Would a history EE topic that refers a lot to modern times be okay?

LiquidSoap

Let's say my research question was set up something like this (not the actual question I want to use and very broad):

"To what extent did the (historical economic practice) of (country) influence (country's) modern (economic practices)?"

What I'm concerned about is whether examiners will remove marks for partially focusing on events closer to modern times. Would they think that I'm straying from the subject if I analyze modern events in relation to historical ones (or vice versa)? I know that in a philosophical sense, everything that has already happened is history, however I think that goes beyond both the point of a history EE and what the examiners expect from them.

Just to note, the actual question I want to use is not related to economics and I know that I'd have to refine the question to be more specific. It's just a general template for what I want to do.

Thank you!

Hi @LiquidSoap!

There is such a rule (IB calls it "ten-year rule") that says that the events that you investigate in either your IA or EE should have happened at least 10 years ago. As you feared, any essay that doesn't so will be compromised across several criteria, says the guide. The one that I found (1) refers to 2018. Moreover, I run against the same in the newest history guide (2). You may check those out yourself:

(1) http://ibdocuments.com/IB SUBJECT GUIDES/Core - Extended Essay/Extended Essay Guide 2018 - English.pdf  -- Extended Essay guide, p. 179

(2) http://ibdocuments.com/IB SUBJECT GUIDES/Group 3 - Individuals & Societies/History/History Guide 2020 - English.pdf  -- History Guide, p. 85

• 8 months later...