Law Career Path

asher1529

Hi. 

Hello.

You may be wondering when in the ever loving god am I going to start posting my problems, and I promise you I'll be starting soon. First, I'd just like to say I will be going into the IBDP programme this upcoming August. Woo-hoo. Much enthusiasm. 

Anyways moving on, if you've read the forum title then I guess I'd skip the part where I'd start ranting about how I've always wanted to pursue law because of those criminal justice and injustice documentaries I've been watching as of most recently. Well, just last month myself and many others have started selecting the courses we'd be taking in the diploma programme and I would just like your input on what I've chosen so far. 

The courses I plan to take at a higher level include geography, history and English literature while the courses I plan to take at a standard level include environmental sciences, math studies and Chinese (because it's my best second language out of all the options). 

I've been wandering another help forum, and have also asked for suggestions on there as well. Some have said that economics at a higher level and maths at a standard level, instead of math studies, would be more helpful in my pursuit for a career in law while others have stated that subject choices don't particularly matter as long as there is a subject involving analytical essay writing, for example, history or English literature. 

Since I'm here and still asking, then you may have already guessed it. That's right. I need some more input on what I should do. Are the courses I picked relevant to law? Should I swap my courses for the suggested courses? 

P.S - I forgot to mention this earlier but I chose math studies because I am a complete idiot when it comes to math. 

16 hours ago, ChallengeNumberOne said:

AFAIK maths studies is not even offered anymore in the coming year, or is that just my school? They're switching up the whole maths syllabus into 4 seperate courses. 

I doubt it's only your school, but some may not know of the current situation with the new syllabus so I just put in familiar terms, makes it easier to understand for everyone. I believe it's split into: 

Math Applications and Interpretations (SL, HL)

Math Analysis and Approaches (SL, HL)

I chose math applications, it's been dubbed by some of the teachers in my school as the math studies of this new syllabus. Hence why I picked it since I'm not doing so well in math.