"Global engagement" learning outcome

Natalie727

I'm currently doing several CAS experiences but I'm looking for something that will meet the "global engagement" learning outcome. Is there anything you can do that count as creativity and "global engagement"? For example, writing a research paper on a global issue? Is that acceptable, would it count for CAS and meet this learning outcome?

I think it could count for CAS, but global engagement & creativity can be incorporated in easier CAS experiences too. For example, if you make a piece of art with garbage materials, you could log it as global engagement through the topic of pollution. If you write a short story that has feminism as one of its themes, that can be counted too. I think creativity tends to be associated with artistic things rather than research papers, but it should still be able to work, as long as your CAS coordinator thinks so too. 

One amazing activity that can count for both creativity and global engagement is MUN or Model United Nations. Many IB school have MUN clubs so I would really recommend that (plus it looks great on university applications ;) ). I have been doing MUN for a few years now and really enjoy it. You get to go to conferences all around the world and learn about global issues.

Writing a paper as you mentioned would not count as CAS as far as I know, only if you were to publish it to raise awareness on the issue itself.

Hope this was at least a little helpful!

• Like 1