MATHS IA - CALCULUS IN MUSIC

Vardan

I want to do my IA on music (maybe modelling curve using chords) as I am a violinst and a struggling IB student. My interest in both maths HL Calculus and music has bought me till here to do a IA on it. But as of now I am lost about how to start and then go on. And how far is calculus involved and will the IA be a success. I have no idea how to look into this topic and what should I apply it to could I get any advice, resources or any procedures?

Please clear my confussions.(much needed of surviving IB🙄)...

Thank You!!

As a general rule, I suggest you pick a topic that requires minimal learning on your own. I strongly recommend avoiding topics that you don't know how to approach. The IA, even at HL, does not need be very complicated. A lot of the marks are assigned for good communication and you can get a lot of marks in Use of Math if you just make a few really cool insights based on math you already have learned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kw0573 said:

As a general rule, I suggest you pick a topic that requires minimal learning on your own. I strongly recommend avoiding topics that you don't know how to approach. The IA, even at HL, does not need be very complicated. A lot of the marks are assigned for good communication and you can get a lot of marks in Use of Math if you just make a few really cool insights based on math you already have learned.

First of all thanks for your help.

I was also thinking the same to not choose a very difficult topic but I certainly want to do something in music (violin) or maybe Architecture. Maybe anyone could suggest me some of the realistic ideas to go on with that approch. Also my idea deadline is tomorrow so maybe I figured out something real quick.

Thank You

For now my topic is to find the change in the models of frequency of the different chords in a violin.

But I am not too sure of this topic and can change to something better if you could suggest. I want to do a good Maths HL IA so I can achieve higher grades and also it wont trouble me too much as this IB does.

Hope you could help me with this @kw0573

It's better to do a topic you understand at least 80-90% then one that you understand 30-40% and have to learn the rest. What math concepts that you exploring? I like the mathematical relations discussed by this youtuber. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYO_jab_esuFRV4b17AJtAw. The content is accessible to students with ok to good foundations in pre-calc and draws relationships from many topics, which IB is looking for.

• Like 1

Ya I can understand that, also we haven't yet started calculus in our class but we have recently finished with trignometry which interests me. This youtuber has some good content but probably that wont be of my consideration as many of the topics discussed is not yet explored by me. But my interest in music (violin) and Architecture has brought me to the state of wanting to do something related to trignometry.

Or any different idea for the topic that would be easy and scoring but HL type. So please just suggest one topic.

From your experience in this board you must have come across many good topics and maybe thought of some also so just give one to me please.

@kw0573

Yes, I have come across many good topics, but I don't recall ever suggesting one. Most of the time I just gave feedback on the topic they came up with. I honestly don't know how to do chords without doing some sort of fourier transform, which is just too cumbersome to learn on your own (calculus beyond HL). I think you should look for topics regarding math you want to discuss, such as trig, instead of looking for ones related to a particular field, such as architecture

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kw0573 said:

Yes, I have come across many good topics, but I don't recall ever suggesting one. Most of the time I just gave feedback on the topic they came up with. I honestly don't know how to do chords without doing some sort of fourier transform, which is just too cumbersome to learn on your own (calculus beyond HL). I think you should look for topics regarding math you want to discuss, such as trig, instead of looking for ones related to a particular field, such as architecture

thanks for your help. It has clear a bit of my point.