Hello! I've decided to do an extended essay on the 1st book in the Song of Ice and Fire series called "A Game of Thrones". My working research question is "How does George R.R. Martin exploit the literary hero archetype to discard binary gender stereotypes in A Game of Thrones". I've found a lot of theses and other academic work related to this but I have yet to find a person that has done a Game of Thrones EE, no one in my school has done one before so none of the school's archives of EE's help. So, if you have done one in the past, please chime in with what your research question was and how well you did. 

It is very tricky to do an EE based solely on a modern book. The examiners tend to frown upon it. I did my EE comparing Game of Thrones to King Lear based on stock characters and their portrayal of the themes of power and corruption. Maybe slightly alter your EE to include a comparison to a more classical book? Shakespeare is a good start.

Hope this helps :)