Hey everyone.

I've justed started my first year in IB and I switched from chemistry to art sl. I only have a teacher for half of my lessons everyweek, and since i've just started I'm very confused.

I have no idea where to start or what I should be doing. I'm also seriously confused about what I put in my process portfolio, like do I just explore random topics, or do i start a project and explore within that project. I'm already 5 weekds behind, so I need help pretty badly hahaha

Thank youuu

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in my second year if IB Art SL.

There are 3 major things you'll need to do for the class:

Process Portfolio - The IB examiner will want to see your process over the course. Think of it as your art diary, where you document EVERYTHING you're doing for the class (I know it seems like a daunting task but it'll become a habit after a while). You want to get a sketchbook for this.

Comparative study - Comparison between 2 artists of your choice. For now, don't worry about this.

Exhibition - Again, don't worry about this for now.

As to what to do now, I recommend you think of something angers you. Possible topics are:

Advertisements

Politics

Donald Trump (this is a very overused topic but you can do it if you want)

Terrorism

However, it can be a "smaller" topic. For example, I chose to focus on how it annoys me that people think cartoons can't be for adults. So, I've been making Batman comics with adult themes such as corruption, PTSD, and the prison system.

If you're still unsure as to what to do, we can talk here or you can add me on Discord: #8121

basically damage your sketchbook with a whole bunch of stuff that comes to your mind, my sketchbook was ****, still aced that with a 6 looool, but what you need to understand, visual arts orbits around your inspiration, so you need to really be expressive, otherwise nothing can inspire you in a sense. anything can inspire you, from a bird dying, to your mom making breakfast. 

the teacher usually gives you a theme, if not, make one yourself, brainstorm, you dont have to be good at drawing, you have to be good at expressing yourself. youre behind obviously, what you need todo, is get that sketchbook opened, and start sketching, and writing everything that comes to mind for the theme youre given. give every project a title, a story, and a body, this is going to take time, especially if you wanna pass. 

make sure you follow a patteren, you need to use your projects in for the exhibition in the end, so you need the projects to be in rhythm, to fit a theme in the end of the year obviously. 

remember, you need to be expressive, and open-minded to be able to catch up. anything can inspire you, build something, do something abstract, anythign that has a story can have a presentation, reading all this is also a waste of time, behind 5 weeks? thats a death wish. make a pinterest account and make a board for every project you're behind on, get moving. good luck. 

EDIT; 

What you put in your process portfolio is all your sketches your brain stormss, inspiration background, the artist that inspired, the cutlural background of the inspiration, your approach, pictures, print picuters, objects, use your PORFOLIO LIKE A DIARY. or the friend you brag about too about everythingggg. 

and the comparative study, worry about that when you catch up hahahaah

Edited by hk18
edit