Getting rejected from Edinburgh With a 42 (776HL)

eddiesmith1

I just need to rant, I got rejected from the University of Edinburgh, my dream uni with a 42 776 higher level. At first, I was disappointed, but when i found out that my close friend got into the exact same course as I wanted to on a 34! HE GOT IN ON A 34 AND I GOT REJECTED ON A 42!!! its a broken system, a broken unethical system that rewards those who are willing to pay more. What's the point in having the government set up price ceilings for universities if they're just going to offer places to people who are willing to accept the people who are going to pay more, at the expense of the more qualified students. Im absolutely livid

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, eddiesmith1 said:

I just need to rant, I got rejected from the University of Edinburgh, my dream uni with a 42 776 higher level. At first, I was disappointed, but when i found out that my close friend got into the exact same course as I wanted to on a 34! HE GOT IN ON A 34 AND I GOT REJECTED ON A 42!!! its a broken system, a broken unethical system that rewards those who are willing to pay more. What's the point in having the government set up price ceilings for universities if they're just going to offer places to people who are willing to accept the people who are going to pay more, at the expense of the more qualified students. Im absolutely livid

That sucks to hear 😕 

17 hours ago, eddiesmith1 said:

Wow, that's really upsetting! I flew to the University of Edinburgh a few weeks ago and I had no idea... I'm sure you worked really really hard for that 42 cause that is damn impressive and if the university doesn't take you with 42, it's their loss since you`re obviously crazy dedicated and smart. Go to your second choice and make the damn best out of it :)

That sucks. Were you applying as a home/EU student and they applied as an international student or something?

The other thing to consider is that there are other aspects to an application besides grades. Sometimes personal statement plus or minus the interview make a big impact. Not saying that was the case here as obviously I don't know, but it's slightly more complicated than just grades and I wonder if that played a factor. One thing you can do is contact the University and ask for feedback on your application and why you were rejected. It can be useful in the future to know, if nothing else! And may make it easier to come to terms with as this is obviously really frustrating for you. University applications sometimes feel horrifically arbitrary.

• Like 1