Last Minute Subject/Topic Change English EE

ptglz

to summarize, the advisor assigning system at my school is really flawed and i still have no advisor although everyone was chosen by their advisors about 1 or 2 months ago. pretty much the school left me hanging until the last minute and now i have to change my entire topic and subject to english so i can get an advisor. i have an idea of perhaps comparing or contrasting the protagonists in catcher in the rye and perks of being a wallflower but obviously that's just a basis to narrow down into a proper question. however, many teachers are telling me that young adult novels are frowned upon and score very poorly. is that just subject to the effort one puts into their essay or should i change my book(s)?

Hey!

Ultimately its what about what is important to you.

1) if you want to make the time more enjoyable, stick with a topic that you really like, it is a lot easier to write the extended essay when you like what you´re writing about (may result in a slightly lower grade).

2) if you want a good grade, really investigate into what the IB likes and possibly sacrifice making the topic fun in the process.

Hope this helped!

Good luck :)

I disagree, I think if you deal with the topic properly and the topic is broad enough to fill up 4,000 words with lots of meaty content, then it doesn't matter what the books are. The marks are for quality of the analysis and not for selection of books. Obviously the books you choose matter in the sense that they dictate how much there is to analyse and how deeply you're able to pick it apart - some books don't have that much in them, and I think it's fair to say that lots of books aimed at young adults may lack the depth for you to explore, which sets you up for an element of failure. I think the way to go about it is to have a close look at how much you feel you'd be able to pull out and write about. If you can come up with a lot of content then I wouldn't worry about the genre or age range of the books. Ultimately it's to do with how much quality you draw out of it.

I think you could probably drag enough out of Catcher in the Rye based on my memories of reading it. As for Perks of Being a Wallflower, I'm not sure as I've never read it.

You ideally need to get really 'into' your EE topic so if you're not happy with it I would suggest it's worth scouting out and reading a few books until you are happy. Topic selection is kind of make or break.

• Like 1