Pre IB Preparation

Person101

So I got accepted into Pre IB at Colonel By SS in Ottawa... 

I don't want to drop out of IB in the end and I want to show the teachers their that I am an IB material.

Many of my friends are confident that I wouldn't end up on a waitlist and get accepted in the first round (which I did).

But I don't feel confident in passing it. IB is a prestigious program that would increase my chances of getting into university in the near future. Heck, I didn't think I would get accepted right away.

How do I prepare for next year? How can I boost my confidence in the success of earning the IB Diploma? Are there any tips that you can provide for me?

A few things you should know about me that might be helpful:

• I am an 8th grader attending Vimy Ridge Public School in Ottawa
  • I am an ambitious student who wants to pursue her dreams of becoming either a medical doctor or a computer scientist
  • I have an average of 87% (Equivalent to an A)
  • I love school
  • I care about my future and I love challenges (the reason why I applied to Pre IB in the first place)
  • I'll be taking the following courses:
  1. ENG1DE (English pre-IB)
  2. FSF1DE (Core French pre-IB)
  3. CGC1DE (Issues in Canadian Geography pre-IB)
  4. SNC1DE (Science pre-IB)
  5. MPM1DE (Principles of Mathematics pre-IB)
  6. PPL1OP (Female - Healthy Active Living Education)
  7. ADA1O (Dramatic Arts) or AVI1O (Visual Arts)
  8. TIJ1O (Exploring Technologies) or TGJ1O (Exploring Communications Technology)

Thank you for your help and wish me luck on my first year🙂

You've not even started the IB yet! :P 

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. Just enjoy your current school year and do your best in all your subjects. You'll boost your confidence by showing yourself that you can do well academically so I suggest aiming to do that and focussing on the here and now. Leave worrying about the IB itself until you're actually doing it, and when that time comes, feel free to share any of those worries with us here!

Good luck.

@Sandwich said it all, but to re-iterate:

- You're in grade 8. I did fine in IB and I barely went to class/did hw until DP started in grade 11

- Pre-IB is supposed to ease you into it. Very few schools make it unreasonably hard. If you school does, then it's whatever, but there shouldn't be anything over your head, especially since you love school

- You need to practice having fun and enjoying life in the summer! High school is a good time so take advantage of it. Explore extracurricular stuff and develop your interests. At the end of the day these are the things that are gonna help you in life (and CAS)! 

10 hours ago, Jaysun said:

- Pre-IB is supposed to ease you into it. Very few schools make it unreasonably hard. If you school does, then it's whatever, but there shouldn't be anything over your head, especially since you love school

Just elaborating:

Pre-IB is not an "IB-official" program like MYP, instead it is modelled after the Ontario curriculum.  So essentially you're signed up for Academic-level classes.

There is very little difference between Pre-IB and Academic, maybe an extra unit added to a course, or an extra assignment that Academic students would not usually do.

All the extra stuff that you do in Pre-IB, while it does prepare you for IB in the long run, really makes no difference.  In grade 9, there were actually some non-IB students placed in my Pre-IB classes and they fared well.  I also found my non-IB classes to be very easy (the open-level electives as well as Academic Geography).

I know you're proud of your 87 average right now (which is an awesome grade to start Pre-IB with 👏✌️), but trust me when I say this: you really don't have to worry about your grades now.  Canadian universities will only look at grade 12 marks - the exception being if you don't have a certain grade 12 course completed, in which case they will consider the corresponding grade 11 mark.  But that's way down the road.

Enjoy grades 9 and 10, they're really great.  The freedom of being in high school without the concept of university looming over you.

12 hours ago, Jaysun said:

I did fine in IB and I barely went to class/did hw until DP started in grade 11

Also, don't skip class.

• Like 1