I feel like I'm failing IB already... I'm on my year 1

Dsa18947

Hi everyone, I didnt know where else to go to and get some help because my parents are not supportive at all. My mom literraly just shouted at me for crying while I was obsessively searching university requirements...she told be to stop whining and exhagurating.

So Im into the marking period 3 of IB year 1 and my grades are super low to what the others are getting easily. I have 27 points now while others manage to somehow get 35 and 38 etc. I had always set myself a very high standard for education, I always study very hard but it just doesnt seem to be paying off...What do I do if even though I work my self out till the last, I do everything I can, tutuors and online stuff, I cant get the grades I need? Especualy in CHEM AND BIO?

I take HL(English L&Lit(5), Psych(6), Bio(4)) and SL(Chem(3), French(4), Math(4)). I really want to take Biological sciences undergraduate courses in college in UK, but I guess with this amount of points I have no chance.Can anyone suggest possible courses and universities that I might go to with not so high mark band?

Lastly, I just want to reasure myself and get some support and know that even if this is too bad, I still will have some options for future...

I feel very depressed and lacking self confidence as never before, shcool days are pure hell for me even though Im a workaholic and enjoy learning.

Please help.

Deep breath.  Good?  Ok.  I know this is long, but I tried to break things up with the quotations.

7 hours ago, Dsa18947 said:

I take HL(English L&Lit(5), Psych(6), Bio(4)) and SL(Chem(3), French(4), Math(4))

First things first: great job getting a 5 in English and a 6 in Psych.  A 4 in French is also pretty good.  While these are not "perfect" grades, I would say you're doing well in these subjects, given that they're not directly related to your intended field of study.

As for your STEM subjects, maybe you're pushing yourself too hard.  If you keep hammering your brain with extra tutoring and online material, that could lead to burnout.  Remember, "study smart, not hard."  Pace yourself.  After a lesson, take five minutes to be sure that you understand the main ideas.  If you don't get something, ask a classmate to explain it to you.  If your classmates are getting 35-38 points, then they should be able to pass on their understanding to you.  Who knows, maybe they even have good study tips?

I really want to take Biological sciences undergraduate courses in college in UK

I think it is very ambitious of you to set your sights on university on the UK, but I must say that international studies aren't everything.  I used to think that I would only be successful if I went to the US.  I looked towards the Ivies: the costs, the acceptance rates, the SAT.  While I could push myself through all of that, would I still be happy?  Is a US education worth it?

I began researching schools in Canada, and discovered the University of Waterloo's reputation for engineering (my intended field of study).  I initially thought that Waterloo was a mediocre school, but as I looked more into things, I realized that Waterloo is perfect for me: they offer co-op programs, they're the largest engineering school in the country, and I wouldn't have to move away in order to study there.

So again I ask the question: Is a US UK education worth it?  I would say no, because if you're leaving for a "better education" in a different country, you're removing talent from your own country.  I get that schools in the UK are very prestigious, but isn't your own country awesome too?  Be on team Switzerland, just as I'm on team Canada.

Can anyone suggest possible courses and universities that I might go to with not so high mark band?

I suggest that you find your Waterloo.  What I mean by that is the local gem that you may be overlooking, because it doesn't top the QS Rankings list.

There's one more thing I have to say about the University of Waterloo: they don't care about IB.  They don't have preference for IB kids over "regular" ones.  Odds are, there's going to be a school in your country that will have the same policy, and maybe dropping out of some IB classes could be beneficial: you'd get higher grades, and you'd be able to take classes that aren't offered at IB level, so you can specialize or explore other interests.

You're going to get into university.  If you've made it through the application process to get into IB and made it this far, I know that you're strong enough to go down the path that works for you.

There you have it.  Feel free to PM me anytime if need be.

Good luck!

~DiviDivi

Edited by DiviDivi
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for the advise! I rellay apreciate the time and courage you put into this. Your advise is very wise and helpfull, even eye openning that IB is not the  end of the world and that ther is aways a way out. Thank you very much!