USA Universities and Math Studies

bitt3r

So what do you guys think?

I wanna apply to the US. The only problem is, as i'm planning to do medicine, i first have to study Biochemistry as an undergraduate. Is it possible to get into Biochemistry with Math Studies (predicted level 7). On top of it i'm obviously doing Chemistry and Bio (predicted level 6 and 7). If yes, would that only be the case for the smaller colleges or the Ivy league as well?

What's your opinion?

I am also applying to american unis, I don’t think they’re as specific with the subjects as U.K. universities, however, I don’t think having math studies should matter as long as you’re doing biology/chem

Also, to get more information or be 100% sure I’d recommend contacting the universities you’re interested in and asking if they have any specific requirements since it’s never the same for universities in the US 

Differing opinion: from what I've heard, less and less universities are considering math studies as a valid high school mathematics course (at least in Canada, which is very similar to the US).

Every single school will have Biochem in the department of sciences, which means some sort of standard timetable early in your schooling, including calculus and whatnot. I applied to some Ivy's for STEM majors, so I know that math studies is more or less a death sentence if you want to do STEM. Smaller colleges may be more lax, but medicine is still a very competitive program, regardless of the school.

Every school is very clear with their IB requirements on their respective sites. If any school says they "recommend math SL or higher" that probably means you should've done SL or higher, or have some other crazy amazing thing on your portfolio.