TOK presentation

I am working on my Tok presentation, but am not quite sure about my RLS. 

I have 2 ideas and was hoping to get some help on which one is better or if they would even work. 

1) The first RLS is based on the Sackler family.  

The Sackler family runs Purdue Pharma and produces OxyContin and other prescription opioids. They were encouraging a higher dosage of these drugs to their patients, even though they were aware of the addiction that it could cause. They were able to make over 13 billion dollars, but the death toll from these drugs has now exceeded 200 000 and still causes around 130 deaths per day in America. A lawsuit has been filled against them and claims: "Put simply, Purdue and the Sackler's defendants manipulated and misrepresented medical science to serve their own agenda at great human cost. The family knowingly continued to put more people on opioid, despite having knowledge of the effects. 

The knowledge question would be: How does the pursuit of money help or hinder us in our efforts to become the best people that we can be?

2) RLS: bullying. 

I would take a case of someone that has been bullied and committed suicide as the real life situation. 

The knowledge question would be: to what extent does language affect emotion? 

The first knowledge question needs work as it's not really about knowledge and I'm even struggling to link it directly with the RLS. It's easiest in infuse some AOKs or WOKs in it. For example, the quick blurb of text you includes the phrase, "manipulated and misrepresented medical science," which is perfect TOK material. You can generate something like "In what ways can reasoning be manipulated to support bias conclusions?" BOOM! That's a gold mine of exploration as you can discuss and reapply it to just about any situation where somebody lets their bias guide their reasoning, e.g. false advertising, flat earthers, anti-vaxxers, etc.

to what extent does language affect emotion? 

The second knowledge question is well-formed as it is, but I'd be more specific about the RLS. Can you cite specific news report? Also, the link between the RLS and KQ is a little unclear as it seems like quite a jump to go from language and emotion to suicide (it's a decision/action, not an emotion). So, if you choose that one it requires a bit of work to link the RLS to the KQ.

Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I think I am going to use the first situation, because I have a concrete RLS. Thanks for the suggestions, I wasn’t quite set on the KQ. 

I want to change the knowledge question slightly, but I am not sure how it makes it sound. I just think that the other one is structured a bit more complicated and might be hard to follow. I want to go with the same concept, but just change it to: 

1) How can emotions affect logical reasoning?

or 2) In what way can reasoning be manipulated by emotion?

I know this sounds strange, but I am actually thinking about changing my whole topic, because I don't feel very invested in this one and that won't end well. I was thinking about the point that you made with Anti-Vaxxers and thought that that could be an interesting topic. 

I have 2 ideas for a RLS. 

1) One of my old friends (I don't know how specific I have to be on names) got a vaccine against tuberculosis when she was little. It was done wrong and ended up giving her the disease and so she had to be treated against it. Then her mother became an anti-Vaxxer, because of the situation that they had been put through.

I think that for that RLS I would still be able to use the same KQ: how can emotion affect decision making/reasoning? ( I could also use the 2nd KQ for this one) I would talk about confirmation bias and the other things I have mentioned above

2) This one would be based on the measles. I don't know if I am allowed to use this as a RLS, but I was going to use the number of people that died from the measles in 2018: Measles kills more than 100,000 people a year, mostly children who have not been vaccinated. In 2018 there were 307,000 reported outbreaks of the measles, which is twice as many as in 2017, because more people decided not to vaccinate their children. (according to a preliminary study) My KQ would be slightly different for this situation: To what extent should personal beliefs override one's acceptance to shared knowledge? 

I think I would look at this by looking at the various perspectives on the situation and then look at the WOK's: in this case reason, emotion and maybe faith. Then I would look at more RLS: I think a good one might be global warming? 

Thanks a lot in advance for any help

Also, thank you for the help on the previous question. I actually do really like that KQ, so would probably want to go with my 1. suggestion for the RLS, the one about my best friend. Do you think that that would be a good option?