Best way to draw graphs for an Economics commentary?

I spent over 2 hours today trying to draw a graph on One Note showing the effect of subsidies on bread prices. Needless to say, I'm frustrated because I can't shade in areas of the graph, I have to draw my own dotted lines, the lines don't move everywhere I want them to since they appear to have fixed places that they move to and after some time some lines won't copy again so I have to redraw every single line 6 times in a different place.

Also, why does One Note only have the "Save as" button and not "Save"? Has anyone done their graphs using One Note, and if so, is there a way around these problems? Or can they suggest another graphing program? The "Help" button is useless, I got no useful info from it.

My Economics teacher, who is also an examiner, says we should draw the graphs by hand and then scan them in. That's what everyone else has always done in our school. However, it doesn't look as neat and the highest mark anyone's ever gotten for their portfolio has been a 6 (maybe because of the graphing?)

I looked at one portfolio on IB Survival where it looked like the guy had drawn his graphs on Word rather than One Note. They looked amazing, except I have no idea how to to them like that. I can draw the lines on, but I can't get the labels or the shading/key that he has. Would Excel work better?

So I'm considering just photocopying the ones from the revision guide. Is that allowed, or are we supposed to draw them ourselves?

Or should I just copy the guy-who-did-them-amazingly's graphs? Copy them and change the title?

Edited by Vvi

No, don't copy graphs from other sources. Tbh, I don't think IB cares about whether or not you drew your graphs electronically as it wouldn't be fair to the students who don't have the resources to do so. What they should care about is the accuracy of the graphs and the legibility of any labels on it.

MS Word 2007 has some rather nice (and integrated) drawing tools so you might want to look into that. You could also try Photoshop or Paint if you have those apps.

OK, I did finally get Microsoft Word to give me some decent graphs. Labeling some of them is a problem, with the text boxes obscuring parts of the graph. But I guess I can make the graphs bigger and the text boxes smaller.

A guy in my class always draw economics graphs in class on Photoshop, I just never realized before. Thanks for reminding me to ask him how he does it.

My computer deleted Paint for some reason, but I will try that too.

Thanks for the suggestions, at least now I won't have to draw them by hand. Just saw someone's portfolio from my school where they did that and their handwriting was cramped/illegible.

Hey i would not recommend MS word as quite simply it takes a long time and sometimes the lines move around. Furthermore it is very annoying making sure everything is straight. I would suggest you download (FREE) Edraw Max 4. It is easy and quick and useful not only for economics diagrams but can be used for other diagrams, graphs, analytical tools used in business for example. I have drawn all my diagrams on them and they are very neat and clear. It is a 30 day trial. after that delete all edraw files from computer + unisntall it then reinstall it :innocent: :D

Example_of_diagram.doc

Edited by prv9450

Viivi, you can also do the 'toughest' labels by hand. Sometimes word just won't let you fit something in there, so just add it by hand manually, it doesn't really affect the overall appearance. Though I've come to notice that I sometimes forget to add them afterwards, which obviously isn't good.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest syrianstar

I used to draw my graphs by hand, but then switched to drawing them on Word because it was easier to modify. To avoid lines from moving I simply use the 'Grouping' option which makes sure that all shapes stay in place when I add anything.

I've managed to draw an inflationary sprial graph and a tariff graph. The graphs went a bit blurry when I saved them as pictures, but I can assure they look much better when on Word.

post-3953-1233939718_thumbpng

post-3953-1233939730_thumbjpg

Edited by syrianstar

• 2 weeks later...

ok first off,

the reason why onenote doesn't have a save button, is because it's meant to save automatically whenever you make any changes (eg. typing a letter, deleting half a paragraph by accident etc) think auto-recovery on word, just continuously without you knowing or doing anything.

i normally draw my graphs on paint, just because word is incredibly annoying and the lines never seem to go where you want them to. if the line involves more than 2 lines (not counting the axis) then i swap to fireworks (the program - cheapo version of photoshop which my school installed on our laptops) so i can draw the lines & add labels AND move them around!

anyway whatever program you want to use, make sure you can always shift the lines around and that editing is possible (it's not possible in paint, once you click that lines stuck there.)

hope it helps somehow~

Words on the diagram count for word count? What about numbers then? If I put a Y and a PL for a macroeconomic graph, and a 0 for where the axes meet, you're not seriously telling me that those count as complete words?

There is much debate about this. The Teacher Support Material only states "everything is counted in the word limit", so - ironically enough - there is too much space for interpretation. Basically, what I've done is that I count the title of the graph (such as "Demand for candy in Canada") in the word count, but leave everything else out. In my first commentary, I took everything into account, and noticed that one externality graph accounts for 75 words and decided that it would be stupid to count them. You should bear in mind that your examiner is unlikely to count the words, and if they do so, the maximum punishment for exceeding the word limit is 1 mark. A risk worth taking, I say.

• Like 1

Microsoft Word is the best. I did mine on there and my teacher really liked my graphs. i dunno how everyone else does them but i just go to insert, and then go to shapes and you get all the arrows and can make them dashed and stuff. and if you want to shade something, fill it in with a text box, and then do background paint, and for labels again, use text boxes but left click on the text boxes and click on "format text box" and set it that you want no border on it and the transparency as 100% so it looks like you just typed it without some ugly box on ur graph. Although it takes a while, you get really proffesional neat graphs that leave a better impression than hand drawn. Hope this helps!