Can I make my EE of economics of a topic outside the syllabus?

gmfreire22

The EE question I came up with was "To what extent is the market for airplane travel from Lisbon to Porto a contestable market?". Contestable markets is an economic theory invented in the early 1980s, that differs from the classical ones, and suggests that an oligopolistic or monopolistic market will provide at the productively efficient price, not the maximising MC = MR, because of the constant threat of new entrants taking way their market share. Airlines generally are an example, but it depends on the barriers to entry.

This topic seems very interesting, and I have a lot of sources, but "Contestable markets" is not a topic in IB economics. Is it still ok to do this topic then? It's weird because my teacher said I can't, but I've found extended essay reports that have research questions that go outside the syllabus, including some about contestable markets. Can anyone tell me what the IB EE policy for this is?

Thanks in advance

Btw this is a repost