SAT, TOFEL and IELTS

RAfter

Hi

I found math easy in Sat 1 but I find english hard. Please gives me some advice. i want get score of about 2000 - 2150. how hard is it to get it.? Is Tofel and IElts is hard compared to sat reading and writting sessions? Besides that will IB syllabus be enough for sat 2. I want to take math level 2, chem and phy for sat 2's. I take math HL, phy HL and chem HL. Which books would you recommend for Sat 1 and 2 ? As barrons and Kaplan are compartively easy to the actual SAT 1 which is harder. what scores are required in unis in singapore, US and Canada? Does UK look at sat? Is there any other exams that one must?

Edited by Roger_250200

I have the same probolem as you, and if you want to get to the high score that you want you have to work. The key thing in the critical reading is to know a lot of words. Try have memorized at least 500 new words by the time you take the test. This may sound hard, but it can be done in two weeks tops if you work at it. Also, the writing can be beaten if you literally just follow the tips they give you in one of those SAT help books. That really improved my score. Lastly, practise a lot of full length tests, at least three ( each one is 3.5 hours long).

Oh, i forgot. For the book recommendations, i really felt that the Princeton Review was very helpful when studying for the SAT I

Haven't taken SAT II's yet so cant help you on that.

I found math easy in Sat 1 but I find english hard. All international students feel that way.

Please gives me some advice. i want get score of about 2000 - 2150. how hard is it to get it.? That's a really weird question to ask lol. How hard is 'hard'? How long is a piece of string? Please provide some information on what are your current scores, how long have you been studying for the SAT, how long have you been fluent in English...

Is Tofel and IElts is hard compared to sat reading and writting sessions? I would guess they are not. My friend scored a 6.5 in IELTS but a 400 in SAT CR and writing. SAT not only tests your English, but also your reasoning skills. A person can be completely fluent in English and still score low in the CR and writing.

Besides that will IB syllabus be enough for sat 2. I want to take math level 2, chem and phy for sat 2's. I take math HL, phy HL and chem HL. IB syllabus is enough. There are some small things that you need to know that is not covered in IB. Use any of the prep books, I would recommend Princeton Review.

Which books would you recommend for Sat 1 and 2 ? As barrons and Kaplan are compartively easy to the actual SAT 1 which is harder.

SAT 1 I would use the COLLEGEBOARD blue book. For SAT2 I would use Princeton Review and also for a final practice I would use the COLLEGEBOARD one. Barrons for SAT1 is useless as it is too hard and none of the questions would turn up in the real thing. Kaplan is easier for sure.

what scores are required in unis in singapore, US and Canada? Well it depends on which uni you want to go. Perhaps Aboo can elaborate on the Singapore bit. But as far as I know, Canada does not require SAT. For the US, if everything else is in order, a 2200 will get you into most unis. For top 25 uni I'd be aiming at 2100- 2150 and for top 50 you should have 2000+. That's assuming everything else you have is perfect. If not, then your scores need to be higher to compensate. There are exceptions of course, such as MIT, where they are lenient on your CR and writing scores if you demonstrate competency in SAT2 tests and they also let you take IELTS instead of SAT.

Does UK look at sat? Is there any other exams that one must? UK looks at SAT if you do not have IB or A levels or some other internationally recognized qualification. Since you are doing the IB, you do not need SAT scores.

Yay, someone needs my help.

Right, for Singapore universities, there are the big 3: NUS, NTU and SMU. National U of Sing, Nanyang Technical U and Sing Management U. NUS is the oldest and most widely recognised. NTU is second in ranking, and SMU is relatively new but well respected.

It's preferable if you provide a 2000+ SAT score along with your application, but it isn't necessary.

As for IB scores, it's a debatable topic since they don't provide any kind of minimum score. All I know is that people I know got rejected with 32, 34 and 37. In fact the only person I know that got accepted into a Singaporean university is someone with 5 As at A-Level. They don't like the IB much but it's worth a try if you have upwards of 36 points and good extra curricular activities and all that jazz.

Is IB under rated in the US i mean i was born there and went to jordan so im taking IB i did great in the IGCSE, and hopefully great in IB if some one does around 38-40 in IB and not soo good in SAT ( aroound 1800) what happpens with him beacuse that is what i am expecting i mean i am going to shooooot he person who created the english section of SAT I

If I get 37-40 out of 42 ( predicted score) in IB, 2000 in sat 1 and above 750 in math level 2, chem and physics in sat 2. Do I stand chance to get full scholarship in NTU, NUS and SMU for double majors or fee wavers? Can I get credits due to which the length of course can be decreased. Can you tell me about working bond, that after graduation is it necessary to work in singapore? Are there any carreer opportunities in singapore for people in the marketing, HR and Finance fields and what about the chemical engineering side ?

Thanks

Edited by deissi

If I get 37-40 out of 42 ( predicted score) in IB, 2000 in sat 1 and above 750 in math level 2, chem and physics in sat 2. Do I stand chance to get full scholarship in NTU, NUS and SMU for double majors or fee wavers? Can I get credits due to which the length of course can be decreased. Can you tell me about working bond, that after graduation is it necessary to work in singapore? Are there any carreer opportunities in singapore for people in the marketing, HR and Finance fields and what about the chemical engineering side ?

Thanks

Please don't post in huge font, most of us have perfectly normal eyesight and those of us who don't know how to turn the font up on their own.

Thanks

Don't expect any financial aid, they are very competitive. Your stats above aren't so competitive. You're free to ask at the respective universities, but as I said, they don't quite prefer the IB Diploma.

The working bond only applies if you ask for funding from the Singapore Government, then your tuition fees are reduced, and you have to work in Singapore for 3 years post graduation. Again, these programs are highly competitive since you're facing competition from the entirety of South, South East and East Asia.

Singapore's a business hub, so there are career opportunities for anything and everything. There are more opportunities for the business side of things than the chemical engineering side. Of course, the recession now slows everything and everyone down, so it's not like you can expect a job at this moment in time. By the time you do finish your degree, there should be an economic upswing, but as of now, there are more graduates than jobs (and that's the trend in most places).

@ dexter: For US universities, the final IB grades hardly matters. For some universities the predicted does matter, eg. Yale, but most of the universities just look at the grades you have achieved in the last 4 years of your high school. So if you have been getting 38 -40 consistently in the school exams, then you would have a high GPA which is what the US universities are looking for.

I'd like to think of the academic part of US admissions as a tripod. The three legs being GPA, rank and SAT scores. Now you have a high GPA, and lowish SAT score. It all depends on your class rank. As you know, a tripod cannot stand on one leg; with two legs it might just manage.

If you are getting 6 in English A1 SL, with a bit of work you can pull up the SAT CR and writing sores. Try memorising 40 words a day to improve your vocabulary.

Edited by Forester

Well according to the Tripod: SAT ill work my ago ass off ! But for the rank Im between 2nd and third never lower and ill work to reach 2nd!! And as for the High School Does My IGCSE go for 10th only? or 9th aswell? I got A Star in Bio/Chem/Math/Physics and A in English IT and Arabic So my GPA was a 4.0 in 9/10 grade but in 11 and 12 its around 3.6-3.8

• 5 months later...

I don't know much about Singapore but if you're considering America I will tell you it's very hard to get a full ride or a good scholarship if you don't have competitive stats. I think the main thing hindering you is your SAT, raise it to around 2200 and I think you're good for admissions. You SAT II have very good scores but you might also want to do Math II for your SATs.