Presentation

sxm6497

I’m doing my TOK Presentation on robots and my knowledge question is who decides what’s ethical? I’m so confused on where to proceed, how do I incorporate areas of knowledge and ways of knowing? Please help, I’m stressing out so much and I’m breaking out from stress.

I would suggest you start by thinking about the ways of knowing and THEN decide on what your topic is going to be. TOK is supposed to be about discussing how we come to know things, not discussing who decides things, so your topic as it stands is not really going to help you come up with a presentation that is actually about TOK. It's like doing a presentation on mathematics and deciding to discuss 'Who decides what a number is?' - it's kind of missing the point. You should start with trying to find a real life thing you can apply the ways of knowing to. 

'How do we know ____?' is a good baseline for any TOK presentation if you're struggling. Maybe spend some time thinking how you could ask a question about robots (or pick a different topic, whatever) where you're basically going to end up dissecting the ways in which we use the different ways of knowing to come to a position on it.

I would somewhat disagree with @Sandwich in that "Who decides what's ethical?" is a knowledge question, although I grant the point that it's not as open as it could be and, as a result, might be hampering you from a deeper exploration. Rephrasing it to something like "How do we know what's ethical?", for example, immediately widens the range of possible explorations. "Who" suggests the answer is a person or group of people while in fact that might not be what you're looking to talk about.

How did you settle on the topic of robots? It almost sounds as you were assigned this particular topic with this particular RLS. Instead, find a more specific RLS, like an article about a robot or new technology, etc. and extract the KQs from there. At the moment, there doesn't seem to be any clear connection between the KQ and your RLS and there definitely needs to be.

Pick a RLS and then explore the different aspects of it (using AOKs and WOKs) to find the KQ. I suggest coming up with a broad and a narrow one and then post them here. Hope to see it soon 🙂