Can i still be considered a competitive international student with my 2 languages at standard level?

dxdx2003

Hey....well, I am going to start the IB next academic year and I was wondering about which subject to choose, considering I intend to major in Business or Finance or Economics or something similar (kinda undecided..LOL). The subjects I plan to do are: HL English A Language and literature, HL Economics, HL Business management, SL French B or A2 (if available in my school ), SL Maths analysis and approach and SL computer science. After reading tons of blog post and all the like, I learned that it will be best for me to take the maths at HL and other posts say that schools Do not recommend taking language A at SL level. Considering that I am a prospective international student in the US, will American colleges take it badly that I take two languages at Standard level? Because taking 4 HLs is not what I am planning to do, absolutely not.

I'm not that familiar with US University requirements so can't really advise as to whether an HL/SL language is a good idea or not, but in terms of how you would alter your subjects to achieve that, one easy thing would be to make Maths an HL and then swap HL Business Management to something else - SL Psychology might be a reasonable choice.

Business Management courses don't usually require BM as a pre-requisite and they'll be very impressed by HL Economics/Maths in terms of cementing your background if you were going to apply to a BM course. So it's the most dispensible of your HL subjects. Psychology is complementary in that there is a human behavioural side to economics, and it's also quite an 'easy' SL so you should be in a decent position to get a 7. Depending on what your skills are (and with HL English I'm going to assume you're therefore confident with essays and analysis), I would also recommend Philosophy as a potential 'easy' 7. I mean no subject is 'easy' to get a 7 in exactly, but I think both of those you're more likely to do well and if you can get good marks in your SL subjects it helps a lot with your overall diploma.

• Like 1