Help! HL Biology or HL Business

rtat

I will be in DP 1 next year and supposedly my subjects choices have to be confirmed by now. However, there is a problem with my subject choices, originally I picked HL GEOGRAPHY HL, DESIGN HL, CHINESE LANG B HL, and ENGLISH SL, MATH SL and ESS, but my school can't offer HL GEO and HL DESIGN together as there are not enough students to open a class. Therefore, I am forced to change. In the future, I am planning to do further study on something related to animals, environment, photography or even design. I know that Biology will impact me the most but I sucks at it and I don't enjoy it as well, so I am thinking about Business HL ( I heard it is easy ). Which subject should I pick? should I just ditch IB and do other? Thank you!

Hi rtat,

In my opinion (I worked for many years as an IB Coordinator, principal of IB schools and college counselor), you should stay with Design and replace Geography. Bus Man HL is NOT easy, by any stretch (nor is any DP subject frankly). My suggestion would be to take Bio SL or an Art, as you express an interest in the arts for further study. 

Check out my profile for more info and feel free to ask me for more info here! 

Hope this helps! 

7 minutes ago, IBPRO said:

Hi rtat,

In my opinion (I worked for many years as an IB Coordinator, principal of IB schools and college counselor), you should stay with Design and replace Geography. Bus Man HL is NOT easy, by any stretch (nor is any DP subject frankly). My suggestion would be to take Bio SL or an Art, as you express an interest in the arts for further study. 

Check out my profile for more info and feel free to ask me for more info here! 

Hope this helps! 

Thank you for the suggestions, really appreciate it. I actually have a few questions... hope you don't mind. 

- Actually what do people do after studying Geography?

- Will I still be able to study something related to the environment by any chance, if I take HL design instead of HL geography?

- Does there any differences between Europe and Asia IB curriculum? As for my school now has an average score of 36, and our teachers give us a lot of pressure to achieve high marks. Therefore, I did think of study abroad to find a better and maybe easier? way. 

Thanks a lot!

On 5/27/2019 at 9:33 AM, rtat said:

Thank you for the suggestions, really appreciate it. I actually have a few questions... hope you don't mind. 

- Actually what do people do after studying Geography?

- Will I still be able to study something related to the environment by any chance, if I take HL design instead of HL geography?

- Does there any differences between Europe and Asia IB curriculum? As for my school now has an average score of 36, and our teachers give us a lot of pressure to achieve high marks. Therefore, I did think of study abroad to find a better and maybe easier? way. 

Thanks a lot!

Hi rata, sorry for the delay in responding. Geography is a great class to have for an overall and balanced set of courses.  It helps with transferrable skills like problem solving and critical thinking. Careers in government organizations, environmental consultancy, even business, finance and marketing are common. Not having Geography will not preclude you from studying something environmental, though depending on the university it may make it easier (look at a few universities you may be interested in and see if the have prerequisites). Finally, the IB is the same the entire world over, regardless of location.  Its standardization is part of its beauty. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Best,

Rob

On 5/30/2019 at 9:09 PM, IBPRO said:

Hi rata, sorry for the delay in responding. Geography is a great class to have for an overall and balanced set of courses.  It helps with transferrable skills like problem solving and critical thinking. Careers in government organizations, environmental consultancy, even business, finance and marketing are common. Not having Geography will not preclude you from studying something environmental, though depending on the university it may make it easier (look at a few universities you may be interested in and see if the have prerequisites). Finally, the IB is the same the entire world over, regardless of location.  Its standardization is part of its beauty. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Best,

Rob

Thanks for the really useful info, it helped me a lot! I’ll consider about the things you suggested! Thank you!