Math IA about multiple dimensions

Le Chair

Hi, 

I want to do my Internal Assessment using more dimensions than 3. However, I don't know exactly what I could/should do. I saw someone solving the "Wolf, goat, cabbage" problem using 3d geometry, and wanted to try to solve the "River crossing puzzle" using the same idea. I believe it would require 6 dimensions, and I would use matrixes to represent it. 

My teacher said she couldn't predict if it would turn out good or not. I don't know if it's too simple or too complicated. I still really like this topic, and if this is not possible, I would probably do something with a hypercube or something, but I'm not sure yet.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Thank you.

Ultimately, the problem may be doable if you can solve the original wgc problem using matrices. If you cannot even solve the 3d version using matrices then there's no point solving a 6d problem. The only other attempt I would try is to turn the 6d problem into a 3d or a 2d problem. This StackOverflow post illustrates some of the 2D ways and matrix method to solve the wgc problem. Personally I thought the matrix solution was way too convoluted and rather require some great familiarity with matrices (that I do not possess despite taking 1.5 university courses on linear algebra). Also consider solving the same problem multiple ways and compare the different approaches.

IAs that "solve a problem" usually score better than ones that just "explore a concept", because the former has better focus. 

18 hours ago, kw0573 said:

Ultimately, the problem may be doable if you can solve the original wgc problem using matrices. If you cannot even solve the 3d version using matrices then there's no point solving a 6d problem. The only other attempt I would try is to turn the 6d problem into a 3d or a 2d problem. This StackOverflow post illustrates some of the 2D ways and matrix method to solve the wgc problem. Personally I thought the matrix solution was way too convoluted and rather require some great familiarity with matrices (that I do not possess despite taking 1.5 university courses on linear algebra). Also consider solving the same problem multiple ways and compare the different approaches.

IAs that "solve a problem" usually score better than ones that just "explore a concept", because the former has better focus. 

Thank you! I`ll keep this in mind do my more research!