IB 2021 Tips/Study Guides

benjeren

Hello, I'll be starting IB this August and was wondering if there are any study guides or textbooks anybody could recommend? I will probably just use the textbook which my school uses for my subjects but revise using these study guides. The subjects I've chosen are:

HL: Biology, Chemistry and Economics

SL: Maths AA, English Lang/Lit and German B

Also, does anyone have any tips for dealing with any of these subjects or the IB in general?

I've just recently moved to Germany so my level of German is near to the equivalent to IB German B SL. Just as a backup plan, if I find German B SL incredibly difficult, I might switch to the following combination:

HL: Biology, Chemistry and Turkish B (self taught - native)

SL: Maths AA, English Lang/Lit and Economics

I'm fluent in turkish (not in terms of literature, just generally speaking) so I don't think I would find it hard to study it/catch up+ find a tutor on pamoja (if i can find one of course). 

I don't know about economics, biology, nor German but I can help you with three others. I'm taking chemistry and I find the Oxford Study Guide extremely beneficial. In fact, our teacher neglected the school textbook (Pearson) and is now teaching us from the study guide itself. You can find it online on ibrescources.com. in my opinion, the Oxford study guide is essential. As for English you really don't need a textbook to start with. for math, I really haven't used the textbook my school provided that much; yes its good for revision but once you get the concept you don't need it that much. I would say you shouldn't be worried about getting a study guide for math, you can always check revisionvillage.com.

On 5/30/2019 at 8:55 AM, benjeren said:

Hello, I'll be starting IB this August and was wondering if there are any study guides or textbooks anybody could recommend? I will probably just use the textbook which my school uses for my subjects but revise using these study guides. The subjects I've chosen are:

HL: Biology, Chemistry and Economics

SL: Maths AA, English Lang/Lit and German B

Also, does anyone have any tips for dealing with any of these subjects or the IB in general?

I've just recently moved to Germany so my level of German is near to the equivalent to IB German B SL. Just as a backup plan, if I find German B SL incredibly difficult, I might switch to the following combination:

HL: Biology, Chemistry and Turkish B (self taught - native)

SL: Maths AA, English Lang/Lit and Economics

I'm fluent in turkish (not in terms of literature, just generally speaking) so I don't think I would find it hard to study it/catch up+ find a tutor on pamoja (if i can find one of course). 

Hi benjeren,

I'll second what dude said about the Oxford texts: they are the best out there. The new Math texts are just out I think, so I don't have any info there.  For English, no text needed, unless you wanted to practice on your writing and analytical skills.  ToK will also help you there. 

There are a few revision websites out there that are quite good as well, including InThinking for example (I've used it/recommended it in the past). 

Let me know if I can be of any help, and check out my profile for bonafides. 

Cheers,

Rob

Thank you for your responses, I'll try to simplify what both of you have said below (please correct me if i'm wrong):

Biology HL (Oxford study guide by Andrew Allot - 2014)

Chemistry HL (Oxford study guide by Geoffrey Neus - 2014)

Economics HL (Oxford Study guide + i was also advised to use the "economics in a nutshell" study guide) 

German B SL (no study guide needed)

English LangLit SL (no study guide needed) 

Maths AA (no study guide advised so i'll ask my maths teacher) 

Edited by benjeren
forgot to add something

• 2 months later...

Hiii, I recently started already and I take very similar courses to yours, I would say for Chem always stay on top of your work because it's definitely a lot of content and the oxford study guide is really helpful. For bio, it's a lot of memorization, so notecards and the oxford study guide are your best friend. Economics, my teacher said the book is useless for us at least, because most of the material is online, but you do what was recommended to you. For math, we're a new system so there's not a lot of information however, always ask your teacher and look online. Also, for economics Jason Welker on youtube is amazing, and for chemistry Richard Thornley.

For resources, go to https://ibresources.org/

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Ayav