Choosing between Chem sl and Bio sl

Ina34567

Hi all! I am currently a pre-IB student, but I was notified yesterday that I have to submit my preference for either bio SL or chem SL for next year's diploma program. I'm having difficultly choosing between the two because I don't know much concrete information about either program. I, for sure, plan on majoring in something pertaining to STEM later on (specifically, I have been interested in biomedical engineering). The chem SL program focuses heavily on medicinal chemistry, whereas bio SL focuses most on ecology in my school.

It's difficult for me to define myself as a more "math-sy" person or one who likes memorizing more in science because I don't have a preference. In essence, I would be willing to learn anything needed and find myself comfortable with both learning styles. Considering my career choice and anything that you guys have taken away from either course, any advice?

If you're interested in Biomedical engineering I would think you should be aiming to do at least one of those subjects or probably both at HL rather than SL! I guess Chemistry would probably be more useful for Biomed but you could make a case for either. The medicinal chemistry versus ecology thing sounds like it's just referring to the options you take - the long and short of it is that if you find a different option more interesting, you can just teach it to yourself from the textbook, so if you're not interested in ecology you can pick a different one.

Is there a reason you're not thinking of taking them as HL subjects?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sandwich said:

If you're interested in Biomedical engineering I would think you should be aiming to do at least one of those subjects or probably both at HL rather than SL! I guess Chemistry would probably be more useful for Biomed but you could make a case for either. The medicinal chemistry versus ecology thing sounds like it's just referring to the options you take - the long and short of it is that if you find a different option more interesting, you can just teach it to yourself from the textbook, so if you're not interested in ecology you can pick a different one.

Is there a reason you're not thinking of taking them as HL subjects?

Thanks for the input :)

I would have loved to take both as HL, but my school doesn't offer it. The only STEM related HL we have is comp sci, which I'm taking.

I was also told that medicinal chem/ecology were definite topics because teachers in my school didn't leave it up to the students to decide. 

I agree, though, with the fact that chem would probably be more useful. 

59 minutes ago, Ina34567 said:

Thanks for the input :)

I would have loved to take both as HL, but my school doesn't offer it. The only STEM related HL we have is comp sci, which I'm taking.

I was also told that medicinal chem/ecology were definite topics because teachers in my school didn't leave it up to the students to decide. 

I agree, though, with the fact that chem would probably be more useful. 

What a shame! They're such core subjects it's crazy your school doesn't offer HL. I guess you're lucky you're in the US where it's not such a big deal what subjects you've studied at school when it comes to University applications because you get the chance to catch up at Uni. What I meant with the option topics is that no matter what your teacher chooses to cover in the classroom, in the exam you get given all of the option topics to answer and then you pick which one you want to do on the day. So you can ignore what your teacher picks and do the option which interests you the most if you're willing to learn it in your own time, which is totally do-able from the textbooks.

22 minutes ago, Sandwich said:

What a shame! They're such core subjects it's crazy your school doesn't offer HL. I guess you're lucky you're in the US where it's not such a big deal what subjects you've studied at school when it comes to University applications because you get the chance to catch up at Uni. What I meant with the option topics is that no matter what your teacher chooses to cover in the classroom, in the exam you get given all of the option topics to answer and then you pick which one you want to do on the day. So you can ignore what your teacher picks and do the option which interests you the most if you're willing to learn it in your own time, which is totally do-able from the textbooks.

Ohhh, that makes so much sense. That's great then if I will have options in the exam. It's definitely a shame, though, especially since I'm so science-inclined. We are required to take English HL and History HL. Our math courses are also SL, and I'm just worried this is all putting me at a disadvantage. I guess you could always catch up on studying on your own. However, it is much easier to fit into a schedule when your actual assignments from school are more demanding.

1 hour ago, Ina34567 said:

Ohhh, that makes so much sense. That's great then if I will have options in the exam. It's definitely a shame, though, especially since I'm so science-inclined. We are required to take English HL and History HL. Our math courses are also SL, and I'm just worried this is all putting me at a disadvantage. I guess you could always catch up on studying on your own. However, it is much easier to fit into a schedule when your actual assignments from school are more demanding.

My understanding of the american Uni system is that it's so variable what people have access to in 'high school' that you wouldn't be penalised for not having done relevant subjects - you could just say they weren't available to you, and because of the variability they spend some time covering the knowledge which you could have learnt at school in your first year or so of Uni. I guess it's a disadvantage in that you're going to be behind people who have had that opportunity, but it shouldn't stop you studying a STEM related subject in the end.

That's a problem with the IB in countries where the Uni requirements are less restrictive, I think, because for instance HL English and HL History might not be strong subjects for certain people so you're artificially worsening the scores of those who for instance are great at Maths, but terrible at writing essays. And so on. In an ideal world you'd be at a school where you could do the subjects you wanted in the combination which felt best and achieve the highest IB score possible for you as an individual on the back of that. Anyway!

• 2 months later...

I hope you find this before you choose your topics. As a chemistry HL and Biology HL student I will give you one piece of advice:

DONT YOU DARE TAKE CHEMISTRY "but it's stand-" WELL BUDDY THERES NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SL AND HL! (Sorry not sorry T_T)

But there's a majorrrr difference between bio sl and bio hl. And if my memory serves right there are only like 6 topics + an option to choose from (choose D) for bio sl. And bio sl is soooooooooo easyyyyyy!!!111111!!!1!!

Not trying to scare you or anything, but I would take biology final exams anytime over a chemistry quiz!

I'm just saying as a which is easier POV :)

Edited by BookHerondale