Should I take English lang/lit or lit?

Hello, I am currently going into my junior year and my language A course that I am scheduled to take is English lang/lit SL. 
However, right now I am in a huge dilemma of whether I should switch to lit or stay with lang/lit. 

I initially picked lang/lit solely because it is known for being easier of the two and to be honest, my literary analysis skills are not very strong while on the other hand, my language skills are quite strong. It takes me a lot of time to come up with an argument (hence, timed assessments are the worst, especially if the text is unseen :/). However, I feel like if the literary aspects only cover half of the coursework in the lang/lit class, I wouldn't really improve as much as I would prefer to and I'm not sure if it would be enough to prepare me for the final exams if I were presented with a literary text. However, while I do enjoy analyzing novels, analyzing dramas (Shakespeare to be exact) and poems are definitely not my strongest suit. I don't really think much about analyzing language texts and I fairly enjoy it as well, but I do find literary texts to be more interesting with the author's intentions.

I know I probably will suffer if I switch to lit but I am interested in improving my literary analysis skills. Overall, I don't plan on going into the humanities in college as I am more interested in the sciences. And of course, at the end of the day I do care about getting good grades and I know that for the 2021 lang/lit exams, paper 1 is a language text so I wouldn't struggle too much with this, as oppose to if I were to take lit, actually don't improve that much, and fail with the literature texts. But I would also like to read more too hehe. 

Should I stay with lang/lit or switch?

Scientific writing is not all that similar to what you learn in Lang/Lit or Literature classes. With that said, certainly Lang/Lit is the better option. Consider the option to do Lang/Lit HL and university transfer credits are usually awarded if you score a 5 or 6. If you are concerned with lack of practice, you can practice an analysis piece from a play/poem you are reading once 2-3 weeks (in a 2-hour sitting each time), or by incorporating similar writing into your CAS reflections, which you have to write anyways. You can expand your reading materials to include (modern) poetry so you can understand/analyze them relatively easier than Shakespeare.

On 6/15/2019 at 12:50 PM, meganmisaki said:

Hello, I am currently going into my junior year and my language A course that I am scheduled to take is English lang/lit SL. 
However, right now I am in a huge dilemma of whether I should switch to lit or stay with lang/lit. 

I initially picked lang/lit solely because it is known for being easier of the two and to be honest, my literary analysis skills are not very strong while on the other hand, my language skills are quite strong. It takes me a lot of time to come up with an argument (hence, timed assessments are the worst, especially if the text is unseen :/). However, I feel like if the literary aspects only cover half of the coursework in the lang/lit class, I wouldn't really improve as much as I would prefer to and I'm not sure if it would be enough to prepare me for the final exams if I were presented with a literary text. However, while I do enjoy analyzing novels, analyzing dramas (Shakespeare to be exact) and poems are definitely not my strongest suit. I don't really think much about analyzing language texts and I fairly enjoy it as well, but I do find literary texts to be more interesting with the author's intentions.

I know I probably will suffer if I switch to lit but I am interested in improving my literary analysis skills. Overall, I don't plan on going into the humanities in college as I am more interested in the sciences. And of course, at the end of the day I do care about getting good grades and I know that for the 2021 lang/lit exams, paper 1 is a language text so I wouldn't struggle too much with this, as oppose to if I were to take lit, actually don't improve that much, and fail with the literature texts. But I would also like to read more too hehe. 

Should I stay with lang/lit or switch?

Hi Megan,

I taught DP Lit for 9 years, and know well the differences between Lit and Lang/Lit.  Most of the issues you outline Lit presents are spot on.  May I say, however, Lit offers so many opportunities to grow as a writer, reader, and conversationalist. The ability to analyze texts, write commentaries on unseen passages and dialogue with your classmates on author's intent, especially in poetry, are skills that will carry you forward in any university, regardless of the major.  This is not to say Lang/Lit is less important; only that I have a preference, knowing both well, for how Lit prepares students.  

The number game is obviously important; however, a 5 or possible 6 in Lit will offer more of a reward than a hard 6 in Lang/Lit.  While the IB has worked hard to make sure Lang/Lit gets university recognition, I can tell you universities still prefer Lit. Besides teaching, I am a former university counselor, MYP/DP Coordinator and principal of IB schools.

If you want more information, or perhaps some help moving forward, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Rob

Could you help me find a topic for my IB English LIT paper on Candide. Most of the students already got the popular topics ex. about optimism, characterization of women, and religion. 

I really don't need English in my future studies and honestly, I was never good at it. My school only offers SL/HL English A: Literature a the only Group 1 option. If I want to maximize overall points and minimize workload, SL English LAL is the best and 'easiest' to score highly in -  at least that's what I hear. How much harder is L compared to LAL (both at SL - obviously) If it is possible, to study SL English LAL through an online course like Pamoja, would I be better off in LAL? or having actual lessons for Literature only?