Chem HL or Eco HL?

cool123

Hi guys,

I will be starting the IB in a month and give my exams in 2021. I was confused whether to take Chem HL or Eco Hl. I have previously taken both the subjects in igcse and i am unsure. The HL subjects i had planned were Math AA, Physics and Chem and my SL's as Spanish abinitio, eco and lit lang.  Could someone help out with differences of taking each subjects at HL and SL and the difficulty levels.

Thank You.

Hay notable diferencia entre Chem HL y SL , los temas de HL tienen una dificultad mayor y se necesita más tiempo de preparación, podría tomar química SL y enfocarse más en otras asignaturas de HL. En cuanto a Eco HL no tengo mucha información pero asumo que debe ser algo parecido. Saludos.

• 1 month later...

I heard that both subjects are hard, but I have only tried and still, I'm in Chem HL. Let me tell you, that chemistry is NOT a walk in the park. But the standard topics are actually much harder than the higher! It's like a "continued" of the standard chemistry.

Let me elaborate:

If standard learns 1, 2, 3.

Higher will learn 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

(The numbers don't represent the topics, just numbers :))

It's just extra if you understand the standard topics higher topics will be a piece of cake. (For most topics)

• Like 1

I take Chemistry HL, and I think Economics HL is easier. Engineering universities in the UK don't really need Chemistry HL unless if it is Chemical engineering (It prefers chemistry over physics).

I don't take Economics, but I'd recommend you to go for it. Econ HL is probably less work than Chemistry HL and Chemistry HL has a lot of chapters (21 chapters! and an option) and Economics has less. I take Business and Management and it only has 5 chapters. Econ HL might have 10-15 chapters (?). Chemistry SL has 11 chapters and one option chapter, while Economics SL doesn't have an option chapter. 

I think you better go for economics HL instead.