26/45

hxddad

I just finished year 1 IB and I’m currently on 26/45 after dropping from 28/45. My school average is 26 with a few students over 30. 

My subjects: 

HL: English , Business , Global politics 

SL: Math , Design and technology, Spanish 

My current grades in Ib 

english: 4 

DT:4

Business: 6

Spanish: 2

GP: 4

math: 5

its the start of summer and I really want to end up with 34/45 by the end of IB course.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, pathetic09 said:

I haven't taken IB yet, but how strong is your understanding of Spanish right now? 

It’s not that strong. I didn’t study Spanish in school instead I studied French as a third language. English being first and Arabic second. 

Just now, hxddad said:

It’s not that strong. I didn’t study Spanish in school instead I studied French as a third language. English being first and Arabic second. 

Ah, I see. Do you think that studying Spanish a bit over the summer could help you to improve your mark? 

3 minutes ago, pathetic09 said:

Ah, I see. Do you think that studying Spanish a bit over the summer could help you to improve your mark? 

I was supposed to start a Spanish course but the duration of the course is 6 weeks and If I start it I’ll have to travel after the first week of the course. 

Just now, hxddad said:

I was supposed to start a Spanish course but the duration of the course is 6 weeks and If I start it I’ll have to travel after the first week of the course. 

Dang. Have you tried Duolingo or Kwiziq (something that can track your strengths and weaknesses)? 

Just now, hxddad said:

I already use Duolingo. 

Sweet. In my experience, Duolingo stops being extremely useful once you get the hang of the lessons and finish the tree, so I'd really suggest Kwiziq to get all of the concepts down. Good luck. And are you aware of your weaknesses in your subjects?

I strongly recommend getting copies of the syllabus for all your subjects (you can probably just google them if you can't find them on here) because often that can bump you up a grade just having a really clear view of what they want from you. Spanish is a good one to be doing badly in because it's also very easy to improve your skills in a language. Really sit down with the grammar and then practice as much as you can. Practising speaking in the language is probably the quickest way to improve if you can find anybody (or even one of your teachers) willing to spend half an hour a week just talking with you and correcting you. It forces you to learn how to conjugate the verbs and find the vocabulary to express yourself.

The other thing to remember is that there are 3 points available for TOK/your EE and make sure you put the effort into those to try and get all three because they can make a reasonable difference to your final point score.