Summer before IB Year 1

ChocolateAndVanilla

Hi!

I've heard several times that during the summer before IB, we should just relax and prepare for the 2 hard years. However, I really feel like losing my time since I'm only watching Netflix and stuff because all of my friends are away for some time. Do you think that there are any things I could do duting this summer to prepare myself better for the IB? 

Btw, if that matters, my subject choices are:

Biology HL

Chemistry HL

Geography HL

English A lang&lit HL

Maths AA SL

Polish A SL

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I definitely think there are things to do before starting the IB that could help you when you start. I don't know too much but here are some things that could help :)

- Organise and have an idea of what activities you will be doing for CAS in advance

- Print out your syllabuses and have a read to get your head around the content 

- Organise all of your books and folders to use for school work and homework etc. 

These websites may also help

https://www.lanternaeducation.com/ib-blog/starting-the-ib/

14 hours ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Thank you so much!!

Do you know where I can find the syllabuses online? I've been searching for them and have only found the ones for Biology and Chemistry here on IBSurvival but I can't find the other ones 😕

Hi there,

To add, I would suggest you focus on creating and organizing your systems: Google docs folders, calendars with deadlines and timelines and perhaps most importantly the soft skills I believe are crucial to success: time management, organization, and step-by-step processes. 

You can search online for the guides (search for guide, not syllabus) to all your subjects; let me know if you have any trouble, and I can shoot them over to you. 

By way of introduction, I am a former DP English Lit and ToK teacher, university counselor, MYP/DP Coordinator and principal of IB schools. I now work full time to support students such as yourself, with the DP, essay writing and university counseling.  

Let me know if I can be of any more help!

Cheers,

Rob

11 hours ago, IBPRO said:

Hi there,

To add, I would suggest you focus on creating and organizing your systems: Google docs folders, calendars with deadlines and timelines and perhaps most importantly the soft skills I believe are crucial to success: time management, organization, and step-by-step processes. 

You can search online for the guides (search for guide, not syllabus) to all your subjects; let me know if you have any trouble, and I can shoot them over to you. 

By way of introduction, I am a former DP English Lit and ToK teacher, university counselor, MYP/DP Coordinator and principal of IB schools. I now work full time to support students such as yourself, with the DP, essay writing and university counseling.  

Let me know if I can be of any more help!

Cheers,

Rob

Hello Rob,

Thank you so much for your response! I have already started organizing all the systems and have bought almost all textbooks. I found Biology and Chemistry study guides online (I have the guide to Biology also in paper version). However, I could not find the other ones. It would be great if you could shoot them over to me. Thanks in advance!

16 hours ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

Hello Rob,

Thank you so much for your response! I have already started organizing all the systems and have bought almost all textbooks. I found Biology and Chemistry study guides online (I have the guide to Biology also in paper version). However, I could not find the other ones. It would be great if you could shoot them over to me. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Can I clarify, you are looking for the official IB guides per subject, yes?  Not study guides, but the actual guides teachers use themselves?

Thanks!